Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive Partitions and Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:20 AM

I have win7 64 bit running on a PC with a 500gb hdd. The drive is partitioned roughly in two (except for a small recovery partition of around 17gb). One drive © has windows and software. the other purely for data (D). I originaly had all my data and software on the C drive, until i worked out how to use the D drive partition! Now most of my data is on the D with very little user data on the C (mostly my Google Drive folder). Consequently i have lots of free space on the C drive which i dont need. while the D drive is rapidly filling up. 

Rather than using the C drive for data again i looked into shrinking the C drive and expanding the D drive, however when i used Disk management in windows  ti will only allow me to shrink and expand the drives within the space they currently occupy so i can either have smaller drive partitions with lots of unallocated space (or 2 extra small partitions) or the status quo of 2 drives of circa 232GB!

The only way i ccan see around it is to move all my data back onto the C drive, delete the D drive and repartition. Or start from scratch with the whole drive. Neither option is desirable and i dont know if i would gain anythinng from it.

I also want to try to fit in a second copy of windows to upgrade to 10 when it arrives and still keep 7 going. Dont know if i can do this if i cant organise the partitions the way i want.

Any advice please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:01 AM

The built in disk management is limited in it's ability to expand/shrink etc. partitions, unallocated space. The free MiniTools Partition Wizard (recommend highly) can easily accomplish what you're trying to do:

Download: http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Resize and Move Partition Guide - http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/resize-partition.html

Another good free partition manager is EaseUs: http://www.easeus.com/download/epmf-download.html

HTH :)

#3 TheJust

TheJust

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:05 PM

Exactly, allow me to confirm what Union_Thug said. The fact is that the default partition Tool of Windows (any Wndows) is very limited. Also you will notice that other partition tools won't perform resize operations on a C partition with the OS running in the BG.

It will be done at start up. Be sure to make a BU b4 resizing your C partition. Also check if you startup is usually going smoothly, since all the resizing will be done at boot time.

#4 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:25 AM

Thanks . Other than the one Union_Thug suggested what other partition/disc management software would you suggest i use. Want something reliable, cheap/free that wont lose me data or mess up my system.!

Thanks

#5 TheJust

TheJust

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:24 AM

The one(s) Thug mentioned (Easus) is good, but you mean you want to broaden your choice ? I'll look it up, but give me a week or so and I'll look up which one's I've used lately....

But in the meantime I suggest you check your drive(s) for errors. Or you can do that with the partitioning software before you start partitioning. Also defragment your drive before repartitioning.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:50 AM

Defragmentation only occurs on a partition...there is no point in either running chkdsk or defragging...if you are going to delete existing partitions.

Louis

#7 TheJust

TheJust

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:20 PM

Of course defragmentation only occurs on one partition at at time, and there is indeed no point in doing whatever on a partition that is going to be deleted.

But the thread starter said "Rather than using the C drive for data again i looked into shrinking the C drive and expanding the D drive,..", so he wants to shrink or expand a partition, whatever .. not just deleting. So I strongly recommend him, from my personal experience, to run a chkdsk and defragment any partition (on which there is data in the first place) to which data is moved to or moved from.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:23 PM

:thumbup2:

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users