Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

750GB HDD vs. 250GB SSD

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Chris030

Chris030

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:14 AM

hey guys,

I just went to a computer shop in my region to let my laptop be cleaned inside and outside. We talked and talked and he explained everything very good and I could ask any question except the 2 below ^^

After talking with the guy about my laptop and what he was going to do and such, he proposed me to change my HDD to a SSD.

He told me the things I already knew like my laptop will boot faster, load things faster, SSD's are more stable, ...

I also did some reading afterwards.

My question is how much faster will my laptop be? Does it only reflect on the tasks I do? but not one the gaming side?

And second question, he proposed to put one of the newest 250GB HDD and transfer all my data and stuff for 219€ (~ $240 USD), worktime included. Is that a good deal?

Oh, by the way, I currently own an Acer Aspire 5755G.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:45 AM

The overall performance boost is amazing more than worth the swap, I am on a Toshiba lap top that went from a 500+g spinner to a Samsung 250g SSD. 

You talk about the deal, depends on how you look at it.  On my laptop it took about 20 minutes to do the physical swap, then using the transfer disk supplied by Samsung it took about 25-30 minutes to move the data to the ssd.  That is if you are handy , if you are not then his price is pretty much in line supplying the ssd and labor.  Having your original spinner packed safely away is nice, in case of bad issues so it can be popped it back in.  You can format the ssd and start over in a very short amount of time.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:14 AM

As far as speed difference goes.  It's like ... going from 0 to 50 in a 4 cyl. and going from 0 to 50 in a motorcycle.  (in otherwords it is an amazing speed boost for all of your apps.  The price is reasonable.  So as long as you don't require a lot of hard drive space... since you will only have about 130GB after OS and other apps/drivers than It seems like a pretty good deal to me.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:40 PM

Well...I've never upgraded anything because I wanted a speed increase...my computing habits are such that speed is not important.

But the fact that the stability of a SSD seems greater than the stability of the hard drive...is the reason that I have 3 SSDs.

The storage size differential...speaks for itself.  But that's no consideration if your current/anticpated future storage needs are not even equal to the smallest size you want to compare.

As for paying someone to transfer data from one drive to another...you could do that yourself and spend the requested monies on personal toys.  All it would normally cost you is about an hour of time...and the only requirement is the ability to read and follow the instrucfions provided by the developer of any of the programs which are free and which facilitate such transfers (e.g., Macrium Reflect).  As the old cliche goes..."it aint rocket science."

Louis

#5 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for your answers! I went there today to pick up my laptop and they/he did a really good work! So, back to the topic.

I am thinking to get the upgrade, it's just the hard drive space that makes me unsure... Looking now to the properties of my laptop, I'm using 246 GB (OS included) right now... I could put some things into my extern hard disk but it won't help that much I think...

As the speed goes, I'm actually satisfied. I presume that if I upgrade, I will never want a HDD again ^^

The price includes everything, even the data transfer. If I don't want him/them to do it, the price will still be the same.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,847 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

Sometimes...it's more rewarding...to do simple tasks yourself, as opposed to paying someone to do such for you :).

I used to pay a computer shop $35-50 to reinstall Win 9x for me when I had any type of problem.  One day, one of my friends working there asked me why I paid them to do something so simple.  That's the day that the mystery went out of computers in my head...and I think it made me a better, more useful person.  Certainly, more knowledgeable and (sometimes) helpful to others than I would have been had I continued on with my "I don't know how to do this" approach to computers and computing.

Louis

#7 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:04 PM

I understand your point.

An other (maybe dumb) question is how do you transfer everything?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,847 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:36 PM

I transfer the entire O/S and all installed programs...by cloning the Windows partition from the old drive to the new.  There are many apps that enable such, with my choice being Macrium Free.

Louis

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,759 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

Transferring you entire system is the easy part, I believe most SSD suppliers send a transfer disk along with the drive makes it a breeze!!!

#10 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:21 PM

As far as speed difference goes.  It's like ... going from 0 to 50 in a 4 cyl. and going from 0 to 50 in a motorcycle.  (in otherwords it is an amazing speed boost for all of your apps.  The price is reasonable.  So as long as you don't require a lot of hard drive space... since you will only have about 130GB after OS and other apps/drivers than It seems like a pretty good deal to me.

or going from 0 to 60 in a Corolla and 0 to 60 in a Bugatti.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,759 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:56 PM

Going from a 3-4 minute boot tome to 30 seconds!  Plus programs flash onto the screen rather then LOAD !

Edited by OldPhil, 03 August 2015 - 07:00 PM.

#12 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:56 PM

Going from a 3-4 minute boot tome to 30 seconds!

Or, if your PC is fast enough, from 30 seconds to 2 seconds! :D

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#13 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:39 PM

So, you first transfer everything to a disc, then put in the SSD and then copy everything from the disk to the SSD? Or am I missing something?

Your comparisons are great :D Thanks again! That really wants me to make the upgrade but again, I have doubts with the available space...

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,759 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:03 PM

No!  You load their tiny disk onto your HD, then you plug the SSD into a caddy or just buy an adapter cable.  You open their software hit a button and in a very short time your entire system is on the SSD.  The hole process took me about an hour including pulling the HD out of my lap top and then stuffing the SSD in.  I was super pleased with how this thing booted, I went over the SSD setup items and found most were automatically changed there was only two or three that I had to change.  I have my tower and two lap tops with SSD's so far one to go, the days of going and making a sandwich waiting for a machine to boot are long gone!!!!!!!!! :smash:

Edited by OldPhil, 04 August 2015 - 01:05 PM.

#15 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:04 PM

No!  You load their tiny disk onto your HD, then you plug the SSD into a caddy or just buy an adapter cable.  You open their software hit a button and in a very short time your entire system is on the SSD.  The hole process took me a little over an hour including pulling the HD out of my lap top and then stuffing the SSD in.  I was super pleased with how this thing booted, I went over the SSD setup items and found most were automatically changed there was only two or three that I had to change.  I have my tower and two lap tops with SSD's so far one to go, the days of going and making a sandwich waiting for a machine to boot are long gone!!!!!!!!! :smash:

Long story short you can clone your HDD to the SSD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users