Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KMS client

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cooked

cooked

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:24 AM

I bought a new computer 5 months ago, Windows 8.1 enterprise. I didn't ask for the enterprise version.

This morning I got the message:"Your Windows license will expire soon".

I never heard of KMS client before and feel that I have been cheated.

So, maybe I am lucky, will I be able to  upload Windows 10 before the expiration date, in 30 days? Or do I just have to grind my teeth and buy it?

(Edit: thanks)

Attached Files

Edited by cooked, 26 July 2015 - 12:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:05 AM

Hello,

I have some bad news for you.... the license of windows you were sold is an illegal version of windows. Enterprise is only available for large enterprises/education facility's. This goes with KMS activation as well, a user is only elligable for KMS activation if they are part of a large corporate network/education facility.

The KMS host is also listed as 127.0.0.1, this is your local machine.

I would be contacting the person who sold you this computer and ask for some money back/a legal version of Windows.

It is also a good idea to report Counterfeit software to Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/howtotell/cfr/Report.aspx

But to answer your question about Windows 10, you wont be able to update to Windows 10 without a legit version of Windows. Also if you keep Enterprise it wont be available to you either.

#3 cooked

cooked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:49 AM

Since writing the original post, that's the conclusion that I have come to also, although I didn't imagine that the Windows version was illegal, just dishonest. Dell computers don't like you to download Linux (oh, I tried) and when I bought this PC I thought I was getting a Linus pre installed machine. This is Thailand (TIT) which means I won't have much joy.

Thanks anyway

#4 don wolfani

don wolfani

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:41 PM

I bought a new computer 5 months ago, Windows 8.1 enterprise. I didn't ask for the enterprise version.

This morning I got the message:"Your Windows license will expire soon".

I never heard of KMS client before and feel that I have been cheated.

So, maybe I am lucky, will I be able to  upload Windows 10 before the expiration date, in 30 days? Or do I just have to grind my teeth and buy it?

(Edit: thanks)

from what i know of kms.. it is only a legitimate license if as stated above you are using it for testing and the like.   kms is basically an activation hack that under certian circumstances is legal. but not legal for normal personal use.

#5 cooked

cooked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

Thanks. I will report this to Microsoft although I very much doubt that that will have any effect in this country. I thought of throwing the PC through their shop windows but maybe I'll leave that. Writing a new topic now: price of buying Windows 8.1 likely to fall in the next few days?

#6 cooked

cooked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

As a follow up as to what happened, the guy initially just reactivated Windows Entreprise for another 6 months. They obviously knew what was wrong and tried being arrogant about a foreigner that doesn't understand. I eventually, after a deal of loud explanation (first they just said, 'we don't have Windows 10 yet.. that really made me angry), I got Windows 8.1 pro installed for  ฿400.- which is about $8.- ! I upgraded myself and that was without problems.

Thanks, I wouldn't have been able to bluster without the advice I got here.

Edited by cooked, 18 August 2015 - 09:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users