Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what is good about windows 10

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 lewis12398

lewis12398

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:26 PM

I seem to be one of the older gezzers around I right now can not see a lot of good but it reminds me or the late sixty early seventys we had a couple of boys in detroit that new what you wanted in a car GM AND FORD and it was not long these boys was standing on the corner drawwsz around the ankle not a jar of vaseline in site our asian brothers said all we have to do is build a car the people want. 

Now i donot think any one is afarid to buy a ford or chevy they are very good cars nowadays. It seems to be same path with microsoft and google.

what do you think lewis12398

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:32 PM

From what I can see Windows 10 looks like the biggest disaster to ever hit computing.

MS has already screwed me over with UEFI and I'm just hoping to install Linux (which is difficult or impossible with UEFI), run XP in a virtual machine and be done with MS forever.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,592 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:58 PM

From what I can see Windows 10 looks like the biggest disaster to ever hit computing.

Can't be worst than Windows ME or Vista.

MS has already screwed me over with UEFI

So Microsoft screwed you over with a feature that enhanced hardware's security by a lot? I wonder how.

Also lewis, every threads in this section is pretty much about the pros and cons of Windows 10. Creating another is practically useless. Instead I invite you to read the threads, the discussions and the points being discussed here and from there you can make your own opinion of Windows 10.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:05 PM

So Microsoft screwed you over with a feature that enhanced hardware's security by a lot? I wonder how.

Because I can't install another OS along with it.  I have to reformat the HD, deleting Windows 8.1, just to install W7 or Linux.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

... Or simply disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Boot ... I've seen a tutorial once explaining how to dual boot Windows 8 and a Linux distro even with UEFI enabled. It's possible.

Edited by Aura, 25 July 2015 - 09:09 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:16 PM

It is theoretically possible.

Walking on the moon is actually possible but I haven't done it.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,592 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:36 PM

It is possible to dual-boot Linux with UEFI, just create a UEFI bootable installation media and you'll be just fine.

unite_blue.png

#8 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

Have you actually done this or are you just telling me that it is theoretically possible?

I have tried it.  It does not work.  Linux refuses to install.

#9 darkbit

darkbit

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:35 PM

MS has already screwed me over with UEFI and I'm just hoping to install Linux (which is difficult or impossible with UEFI), run XP in a virtual machine and be done with MS forever.

I seem to be one of the older gezzers around I right now can not see a lot of good but it reminds me or the late sixty early seventys we had a couple of boys in detroit that new what you wanted in a car GM AND FORD and it was not long these boys was standing on the corner drawwsz around the ankle not a jar of vaseline in site our asian brothers said all we have to do is build a car the people want. 

Now i donot think any one is afarid to buy a ford or chevy they are very good cars nowadays. It seems to be same path with microsoft and google.

I would say Windows 10 is going to be an unmitigated disaster, but with the nag ware updates tricking people to upgrade from 7/8 to 10 and the carrot dangling of "free for a year", and the backroom deals with OEM to lockdown to 10 and with Intel to drop support for USB2 (and hence no Win7 on skylake etc) I'm afraid Microsoft might actually cross the "threshold" this time. 

Edited by darkbit, 25 July 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 5,808 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:11 AM

@ Lewis.....isnt it nice to know you can make you own opinion about windows 10.  Maybe you read my comment in another window 10 topic..."

Cleaning up one's image (personal or business) is much harder than keeping it that way by not letting it get dirty. 

Be careful Microsoft....be very careful....you are never too big to come down a peg or two.

This whole scenario reeks of heavy handedness reminiscent of other corporate giants who have 'bitten the dust'

Mr Linux.....keep your eye on the ball. Your time will come. "

SO.....obviously these are just a few of the things that are not good about win 10.....along with the "free" offer (no such thing as a free lunch etc)....as well as an emerging attitude

amongst those who appear to like  it....of absolute invincibility and ":we are the greatest thing since sliced bread etc"....and we will brook no argument, and if you do argue we will "put you down" in such a way that even the moderators of this fine forum will be powerless to stop the rot.

When their own children adopt that particular attitude with them......then their chickens will come home to roost.

What is actually 'good' about win 10?....i am all ears.

My main complaints with 7 and 8 and 8.1 are fairly obvious....7 lacks some really up to date security features....I believe this has been looked at in win 10.....although the 'feature' of mandatory updates leaves a bad taste in my mouth.....a Really bad taste...!

8....nothing to say....disaster.

8.1 sorta kinda ok....but only just. Remember this is 2015....not 1990.....and the consumers have an inalienable right to expect the best....not just the half baked crap that microsoft cares to push out the door.....I do not have any feeling of allegiance to microsoft....in fact quite the opposite....they owe me.

Apparently it has more security. No kidding. That would have been a no brainer.

It will operate on pc's , tablets, phones etc etc....this is market driven. Good sense.

A new browser....and just how long did that take.......how many billion pc's have been infected /taken over etc because m'soft could not get a browser right ? ....This does not engender trust amongst the general public.

Now calling the programs..."apps"....remind you of Android devices...??/....that is the intention....complete with an alt tab to switch between them....and the task view icon in the taskbar so you can find it.  Yes...M'soft has definitely felt the inroads made by the various Android devices etc.....take a bow Samsung !...oh....and Apple too !

Android...

If you've used Windows Phone 8.1 (or Android and/or iOS), you're used to a notification centre you can drag down from the top of the screen. Windows 10 puts that on the right of the screen, where the charms bar was in Windows 8, with notifications from various apps at the top and your choice of various settings buttons at the bottom for quick access.

In short......I will wait and see the impact that the impending release has on BleepingComputer.com   .....as Nikhil_CV so adeptly put it....Ha.... Ha.... Seems like our crash analysis sub forum will need new recruits to keep up the dump input once Windows X is out.""

.....and despite protestations from Aura " I wouldn't worry about that, the current helpers are able to handle any sort of load of work that ends up in their section".......I am sure the thought has at some time crossed the mind of Grinler

The introduction of "toys" and copycatting of bits and pieces from phone manufacturers, will not do it for me.....and i suspect for many others...we expect better than the rubbish that Windows churns out.....and the garbage rhetoric that comes with it is nothing short of abysmal. The fact that windows holds the key position in the supply of OS's...is no excuse to treat the public to another dose of "ordinary fare"

Microsoft has "sown" various people,  who are suitably indoctrinated, into key positions.....I find this possibly the most repugnant feature of Windows 10.......which leaves very little to "like"

and...Also lewis, every threads in this section is pretty much about the pros and cons of Windows 10. Creating another is practically useless.....Really???

Edited by Condobloke, 26 July 2015 - 12:21 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#11 darkbit

darkbit

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:21 AM

@ Lewis.....isnt it nice to know you can make you own opinion about windows 10.  Maybe you read my comment in another window 10 topic..."

Cleaning up one's image (personal or business) is much harder than keeping it that way by not letting it get dirty. 

Be careful Microsoft....be very careful....you are never too big to come down a peg or two.

This whole scenario reeks of heavy handedness reminiscent of other corporate giants who have 'bitten the dust'

Mr Linux.....keep your eye on the ball. Your time will come. "

SO.....obviously these are just a few of the things that are not good about win 10.....along with the "free" offer (no such thing as a free lunch etc)....as well as an emerging attitude

amongst those who appear to like  it....of absolute invincibility and ":we are the greatest thing since sliced bread etc"....and we will brook no argument, and if you do argue we will "put you down" in such a way that even the moderators of this fine forum will be powerless to stop the rot.

When their own children adopt that particular attitude with them......then their chickens will come home to roost.

What is actually 'good' about win 10?....i am all ears.

My main complaints with 7 and 8 and 8.1 are fairly obvious....7 lacks some really up to date security features....I believe this has been looked at in win 10.....although the 'feature' of mandatory updates leaves a bad taste in my mouth.....a Really bad taste...!

8....nothing to say....disaster.

8.1 sorta kinda ok....but only just. Remember this is 2015....not 1990.....and the consumers have an inalienable right to expect the best....not just the half baked crap that microsoft cares to push out the door.....I do not have any feeling of allegiance to microsoft....in fact quite the opposite....they owe me.

Apparently it has more security. No kidding. That would have been a no brainer.

It will operate on pc's , tablets, phones etc etc....this is market driven. Good sense.

A new browser....and just how long did that take.......how many billion pc's have been infected /taken over etc because m'soft could not get a browser right ? ....This does not engender trust amongst the general public.

Now calling the programs..."apps"....remind you of Android devices...??/....that is the intention....complete with an alt tab to switch between them....and the task view icon in the taskbar so you can find it.  Yes...M'soft has definitely felt the inroads made by the various Android devices etc.....take a bow Samsung !...oh....and Apple too !

Android...

If you've used Windows Phone 8.1 (or Android and/or iOS), you're used to a notification centre you can drag down from the top of the screen. Windows 10 puts that on the right of the screen, where the charms bar was in Windows 8, with notifications from various apps at the top and your choice of various settings buttons at the bottom for quick access.

In short......I will wait and see the impact that the impending release has on BleepingComputer.com   .....as Nikhil_CV so adeptly put it....Ha.... Ha.... Seems like our crash analysis sub forum will need new recruits to keep up the dump input once Windows X is out.""

.....and despite protestations from Aura " I wouldn't worry about that, the current helpers are able to handle any sort of load of work that ends up in their section".......I am sure the thought has at some time crossed the mind of Grinler

The introduction of "toys" and copycatting of bits and pieces from phone manufacturers, will not do it for me.....and i suspect for many others...we expect better than the rubbish that Windows churns out.....and the garbage rhetoric that comes with it is nothing short of abysmal. The fact that windows holds the key position in the supply of OS's...is no excuse to treat the public to another dose of "ordinary fare"

Microsoft has "sown" various people,  who are suitably indoctrinated, into key positions.....I find this possibly the most repugnant feature of Windows 10.......which leaves very little to "like"

Shows you how updated Tron 2.0 is. Instead of "Greetings programs", should be "Greetings Apps". 

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,592 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:28 AM

Seems like our crash analysis sub forum will need new recruits to keep up the dump input once Windows X is out.""

Do you have anything against the current BSOD Kernel Dump Experts that we have here, condobloke? I think they are doing a pretty good job if you ask me. I know some of them as well and they are really good people. Also, I fail to see where I am protesting but alright.

lewis12398, sorry if my post is a bit off-topic.

unite_blue.png

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 5,808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:39 AM

and just to top off the general dissatisfaction....MadmanRB put it succintly when he said

I work nights, just seeing if i could it the normal way but nope windows isnt having that.

Too bad for it, if I cant get windows 8 to upgrade linux is on standby.

Eat that microsoft :devil:

The thing is this is a legal computer and is ready for windows 10, there should be nothing stopping it from upgrading to windows 10.

I just think it hates me, feelings mutual Windows 8, very very much mutual

and that manages to encapsulate what an ever increasing majority of thinking windows users feel on the topic.

Just exactly what was it that m'soft said or 'promised' that will convince us to write what is 'good' about win x  .........................?

Edited by Condobloke, 26 July 2015 - 12:40 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#14 gjohnson

gjohnson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:26 AM

Hi everyone - I've only just joined & this is the 1st topic I've looked at.

I must say it seems very negative. My friends & I are actually looking forward to setting up Win 10 as soon as we can.

I guess being a retired person might make the difference - I look forward to sorting out the problems that I expect - hopefully helps to keep the dementia at bay.

I've been reading many positive comment re Win 10 - after all it has apparently been trialled by > a million people which is an advance in itself.

I'm going to stay positive BUT you might have the last laugh if I start asking for help soon...............!   Fingers crossed.

#15 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:49 AM

There is good, lewis. Every new MS OS iteration brings some good with it.  But is it good for YOU, that no one can properly say.  Aura started a thread on the debate and yeah he just said nearly every thread in Win10 touches on the debate.  Can't not do that.  So you have to research it.

I keep on flipping back and forth on the topic, frankly.  For like most others in this forum, I have Win10 installed now for a week, the official version, activated.  So for this forum, I tried to summarize both good and bad I saw, here.  That link is the official debate thread, maybe something in it you find, will help you decide one way or another.

My own due diligence is posted offsite, here, containing links and articles from all over the web which seemed most pertinent.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users