Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Compaq Presario CPU Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Danster

Danster

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:17 PM

I'm planning to upgrade the CPU on my Compaq SR1503WM, but I'm not sure what type to buy. I have very little knowledge with CPU upgrades and I need some help. I'll list my complete specs here:

• Base processor
    Celeron 340 (P) 2.93 GHz:
    • 533 MHz front side bus
    • Socket 478
    Chipset
    Intel 845GV
    Motherboard
    • Manufacturer: Asus
    • Motherboard Name: P4GV-LA
    • HP/Compaq motherboard name: Guppy-GL6E

I saw a different post with someone trying to upgrade it to an Intel Pentium 4, would that be a suitable choice?

Edited by Danster, 25 July 2015 - 06:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:25 AM

I assume this is your computer?  If that is the case, then this should be your motherboard. 

Unfortunately, there isn't much of an upgrade path for this PC.  You would probably be better off replacing this PC or building a new one.  The Pentium 4 would be an upgrade over the Celeron, but you are working with technology that is ten years old, so it may not be much of an improvement.

3939.png

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:44 AM

G'day mate and welcome to the Bleeping Computer forum! Adding on from what DBJPace07, attempting to find a specific Pentium 4 CPU that is compatible with the current system may be difficult, especially brand new. Your best bet will be Ebay, as there are a fair amount of cheap second hard Pentium 4 CPU's floating around, if you want to continue with upgrading the system.

Another factor to consider with upgrading the CPU is the heat, as the Pentium 4 had a fairly high heat output and the current cooling solution may not be able to handle the higher heat output from the CPU, hence may potentially cause overheating issues.  

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Danster

Danster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:40 PM

I assume this is your computer?  If that is the case, then this should be your motherboard. 

Unfortunately, there isn't much of an upgrade path for this PC.  You would probably be better off replacing this PC or building a new one.  The Pentium 4 would be an upgrade over the Celeron, but you are working with technology that is ten years old, so it may not be much of an improvement.

Thanks for replying! I am very aware that my computer's hardware is old, but I want to start upgrading things on an older computer to learn more about it when I get my new one. Anyways, if I were to upgrade the RAM + CPU on it, would that significantly change the performance? If not, do you recommend any other CPU's?

#5 Danster

Danster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:41 PM

G'day mate and welcome to the Bleeping Computer forum! Adding on from what DBJPace07, attempting to find a specific Pentium 4 CPU that is compatible with the current system may be difficult, especially brand new. Your best bet will be Ebay, as there are a fair amount of cheap second hard Pentium 4 CPU's floating around, if you want to continue with upgrading the system.

Another factor to consider with upgrading the CPU is the heat, as the Pentium 4 had a fairly high heat output and the current cooling solution may not be able to handle the higher heat output from the CPU, hence may potentially cause overheating issues.  

Can I use a better fan to control the temperature?

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:03 PM

You could definitely use a higher RPM fan to counter the higher heat output from the CPU, although you use a larger and thicker heatsink to help dissipate heat quicker. In regards to the other question, the CPU and Ram performance upgrade will not yield any noticeable difference unfortunately. The choice of using other CPUs is rather limited, as it only supports the Celeron and Pentium 4.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 Danster

Danster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

Could you explain to me why it wouldn't affect the performance? I thought upgrading my hardware would help me stop a bit of the lag :P

Edited by Danster, 27 July 2015 - 07:46 PM.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:30 AM

If memory serves, the older Northwood and Prescott Celeron's shared the same core architecture.  The Pentium 4's often have faster clock speeds, but also have heat problems.  You will need to find a Socket 478 processor if you want to upgrade, however, all HP says about that motherboard is this:

• Socket: 478
  • Supports the following processors:
    • Intel Pentium 4
    • Intel Celeron with Northwood core and Prescott core

I don't know if your motherboard can handle all processors meeting those specifications or if only select models are usable.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users