Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ThinkPad says Signal Strength: Good, but IE Cannot Find Server

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JuliaC

JuliaC

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:41 PM

Hi, I just bought a new-to-me IBM ThinkPad R51, with Windows XP, and a Wifi signal is detected. The green Wifi symbol is lit up at the bottom of the monitor, and the icon says "Signal strength: Good". But when I try to pull up Google on IE v6, it says Page Cannot Be Displayed. My phone and other 2 computers connect through Wifi just fine.

I have no idea what the first thing to try would be, but I'm willing to go through however much troubleshooting I need to, if anyone may be able to help me get my laptop to go online. I would appreciate it so much!

Julia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:20 PM

What version of IE is installed?

Are all critical updates installed?

Many websites no longer will tolerate IE 8 in XP...I use Firefox on those websites while continuing to use IE 8 where I can.

Louis

#3 JuliaC

JuliaC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the reply.. My IE is version 6. I also just rightclicked on my computer, and service pack 1 was the latest installation, in case that's of any help to know. Could there be something else I could try to outrule what the problem might be, or would that be it?

I have a thumb drive in case I could download any necessary files from another computer to then install on my Thinkpad if that's possible.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:51 PM

Determine which system you are running...32 bit or 64 bit......

Windows XP

If you have Windows XP, there are two methods to determine whether you are running a 32-bit version or a 64-bit version. If one method does not work, try the other method.  

Method 1: View the System window in Control Panel
  1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  3. Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
    • For a 64-bit version operating system, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
    • For a 32-bit version operating system, Windows XP Professional Version <Year> appears under System.
    2683283.jpgNote <Year> is a placeholder for a year.

Service pack 3 will not download on a 64 bit system

If you are running a 32 bit system, proceed to the next step...

You will find the download HERE  

The download is approx 350mb.

Make sure the laptop is plugged into the charger and remains that way until the install is finished.

Windows XP

If you have Windows XP, there are two methods to determine whether you are running a 32-bit version or a 64-bit version. If one method does not work, try the other method.  

Method 1: View the System window in Control Panel
  1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  3. Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
    • For a 64-bit version operating system, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
    • For a 32-bit version operating system, Windows XP Professional Version <Year> appears under System.
    2683283.jpgNote <Year> is a placeholder for a year.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 JuliaC

JuliaC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for the response.. It is 32 bit, but the computer I tried to download the service pack 3 files onto, tried to make them download into folders it won't show me, rather than giving me the option to download them to the flash drive so I could put them on my Thinkpad.

Is there any way to get the service pack 3 files to download onto the flash drive? Or anything else I could try? The computer I tried downloading it from has windows 7 on it in case that helps to know.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:16 PM

I use firefox browser on Windows 7. I have downloads set to go to my desktop.

On the page which appears after you click the download button...select "proceed with this download "...then 'no thanks and continue" on the next page.........the download should then appear.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#7 JuliaC

JuliaC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:58 PM

Thank you, that info helped me to get the SP3 files onto my flash drive, and then installed on my laptop.

I am still getting the Page Cannot be Displayed message from IE. The icon in the bottom right says Signal strength: Very Good, but Status: Limited or no connectivity.

Any ideas what I should I try next to get my laptop to connect to the internet? Thanks

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

IE6  is long outdated and will probably not be acceptable at many websites today.

IE8 is also outdated and unsupported (along with XP) and, consequently, many websites today won't permit access or will only allow limited access to it.

I use Firefox for those websites that don't tolerate IE8 with XP.

Windows XP will continue to use whatever version of IE is installed (for various tasks), so it behooves anyone still using XP...to have the latest unacceptable version (8) because any earlier version presents a greater vulnerability to malware/system dysfunction.

Louis

#9 JuliaC

JuliaC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

I understand about the compatibility issues with many websites, and why updated versions of those programs are recommended.

Is this why my laptop isn't connecting to the internet though? I have tried old websites that I am pretty sure haven't been touched in the last 10 years, like pagetutor.com, and my old website on Tripod, and they don't come up either.

Again this laptop is new to me, but previously used, so I don't know if there could be things in the settings detrimental to the connectivity that aren't already configured... I'm unfamiliar with what terms mean what when it comes to setting up an internet connection.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:29 PM

Try re enabling your connection  with this :

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again.

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:33 PM

IE8....HERE

Firefox....HERE

Just watch the download from Cnet in case it has any "added crap"

#12 JuliaC

JuliaC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:53 PM

Thanks.. "use a proxy" was unchecked.

I tried to install Firefox 39.0 earlier and I would get a box that said "installation was interrupted, click okay to proceed" and then the installation would disappear altogether.

When I clicked on the IE8 download link, I was given 3 options of downloads which none could apply for me- All were for Windows Server 2003 or Vista.

The laptop I had just before this one, was almost just like this one- it was an IBM ThinkPad r40 (it got the blue screen of death after unplugging it rather than clicking on restart)... It had XP on it and I think IE version 6 as well, and it connected to the internet through my Wifi connection just fine.. So it seems to me like the issue with my current laptop would have to be something in the settings I'm unfamiliar with.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:28 PM

If...you now have a laptop where you are not the original owner...IMO, the best thing to do is use the restore-to-factory-defaults function that should be present.  That will give you the benefits of a clean install, which would also provide a good base for troubleshooting any scenarios that would then occur.

There is no way of telling what might be wrong...from where I sit.

Louis

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:49 AM

This appears to be a straightforward guide.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/restore-thinkpad-factory-defaults-42801.html

#15 JuliaC

JuliaC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:04 AM

I appreciate all the efforts. I took my laptop to have a tech friend of mine look at it today, and it connected right away. He didn't change any settings or anything. He installed Chrome then. When I got home with it, I selected my network and then it connected the way it's supposed to. I'm not sure exactly what caused it to start working, but it connects now. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users