Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm looking for advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Speedo420

Speedo420

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:22 PM

I'm not sure where I should post this, so here goes......

I have a Dell computer and I'm running Windows 7.  not long ago I hard what I thought was a hard drive failure.  after tying many things I took it to a shop and all the data was there but the drive did have problems so now it is my slave drive.  it was recommended that I save all the data to an external drive, then try and reformatt the drive.

I have been looking at Western Digital My Book and their Elements drives.  can I just copy the data from the slave drive to one of these, create different folders for my wife and I to store what we need to save along with use it for backups too?

if and when the slave drive data is copied, what commands and how do I reformatt the slave drive?  I remember doing this years ago from the DOS prompt.

I hope this all made sense,  thanks again!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:26 PM

These days, when a drive is first installed and recognized by both the BIOS and the OS,  the OS should ask you what you want to do with the new hardware.  The options are there to format, make bootable, etc.  Each OS is different slightly and some BIOS may have trouble recognizing the drive, the OS may find, or not.  Some external drive units using USB as an interface, come with the needed drivers to get it up and running.  WIN7 does have a DOS prompt, I use it to create my own directories.  Name them or number them.  Even before a format routine, a partition is needed, and the physical drive can be divided into extended drives, with your own chosen names.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:19 PM

I'm not real clear on what you want to do.  Everything you want to do can be accomplished with a Graphical User Interface (GUI).

For low level work, partitioning and such, you want Disk Management (do a search or run dskmgmt.msc).

For actual formatting you can use Computer and right click the drive.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:21 PM

From what I gatherd Kilroy I think he wants to know if he can plug in an external cloud drive and just copy all the files off his failing hard drive (his slave drive) as his OS drive is the (Master) and then wants to know how he can format the slave afterwards. ~

To answer question one ..Can you copy files from your slave drive to the external - yes you should simply be able to copy all your files to an external drive.

To answer question two .. How do you format the drive:- Here is a nice video on how to format a second hard drive in your computer with windows 7.

#5 Speedo420

Speedo420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:45 AM

thank you all and especially Yeah Bleeping, I think you understood what I was asking and what I wanted to do.  I have ordered the external drive from WD and if I have more questions I will be back.

thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users