Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lotus 123 and Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:36 AM

Hi brainout .. I'm glad you found my points on Lotus 123 of some value.

Your rest .. about MSFT, I was going to say .. they've gone crazy .. but of course, they haven't - and that's even more frightening. Fancy having to share your client bussiness, privileged, or intimate information with MSFT.

Why is this awful stuff being pushed onto people?

Because they can get away with it.

Power currupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

They will get away with as much as they can, because they .. can.

I am getting more and more familiar with Linux, and am introducing others to it. I am also pointing out MSFT's Eula to whoever will listen.  They are SHOCKED when they see it - those that care, anyway. Hopefully, more and more will care, and decide that enough is enough !!!

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:52 PM

@jargos, true.  I'm working on a definitive statement for my Youtube and vimeo subscribers in a forum just yesterday created for them.  The Computer Stuff section.  So I will have done my own due diligence in warning them.  That's all one can do, is pass on what one learns, and then the hearer is free to listen or not, discard or investigate. 

Am turning all my Windows 7 updates off, and will remove the Win10 drive from the laptop.  The more I think about it, the more I want to be able to prove that the drive could not be compromised.  The alternative though is to leave it hooked up, make sure absolutely nothing is on it but raw programs, clear the history, let MSFT scan to its hearts content -- and when enough time passes that all its backups of whatever it 'saw' are cycled out, then remove the drive.  For I did test files, etc.

Edited by brainout, 12 August 2015 - 02:53 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#18 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:38 PM

Hi brainout.

Your ..

http://www.brainout.net/frankforum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5

Just .. WOW, WOW, WOW !!!

I don't think I've seen it covered so succinctly before. Congratulations on it, and more, on having the fortitude and moral fibre to prosecute this issue.

For my part, I am sending that link to many.

It is, in the least, eerie how there's not any remonstrance, or even curious chatter about this, by the computer media, et al. I guess it is true that ..

In times of mass deception, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act !

#19 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:39 AM

@jargos, thank you!  If you think I've misstated something, feel free to comment there.  That's what the forum is all about: no-holds-barred FRANKness.  It's my way of being sure no one who listens to my stuff, goes uninformed.

Think I'll need to add a new signature to my client emails, saying I won't use Win10 and linking to the Microsoft Service Agreement warning them not to use it either.  It's all the rage right now for emails to have disavowals as signatures.  Never thought I'd need one, now I do.  Tentative wording:  this email was not sent from a Windows 10 device.  If you receive it on a Windows 10 device, your identity will be compromised.

Edited by brainout, 13 August 2015 - 02:39 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#20 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:32 AM

I read through it word for word, checked out your links, etc .. I don't think you missed anything.

Tentative wording:  this email was not sent from a Windows 10 device.  If you receive it on a Windows 10 device, your identity will be compromised.

Excellent idea. When you come up with your final wording, would love to see it posted here - for anyone else interested, as I certainly will be, and will use it myself. Fancy that ! My clients material (sensitive financial stuff concerning speculative investments) to be at the disposal of MSFT !

It boggles the mind ! Picture this simple scenario;

- I don't use Win 10

- Someone I do business with, does.

- I communicate sensitive, private information with that someone.

- My sensitive private information is compromised because of that fact - through no fault or intent of mine. Just .. WOW !!!

I hope some clever lawyers are rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of such multiple potential breaches. You know how they love to bring class actions against multinationals. What a sitting duck MSFT has made itself.

PS - I'm doing this on Linux. Gotta LOVE Linux - I do, and I'm as non techie as they come.

#21 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:00 AM

I hope some clever lawyers are rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of such multiple potential breaches. You know how they love to bring class actions against multinationals. What a sitting duck MSFT has made itself.

Yeah, no kidding!  :luke:

And again, this is all the more tragic since Windows 10 is pretty decent.

Bet ya $5 USD that Germany or Australia first bring it to court as unconstitutional. That's the ONLY way to get out of this.  Maybe the lawyers at MSFT are smarter than I give them credit for.  Maybe they invented the Paragraph 2 and 3 in order to provoke a constitutional crisis to get them out of having to provide any data in the first place.  Because, that will be the outcome, 10 years out.

Edited by brainout, 13 August 2015 - 11:32 AM.

#22 BDH_2222

BDH_2222

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:01 AM

Brainout-

Thanks for input. However, when I re-installed, there was no change in the outcome.
So any suggestions from users who have successfully used Lotus 123 Version 9.8 in Windows 10 will be appreciated. This same version worked in Windows 7.
Thanks again,
BDH

#23 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

Well, did  you run repair only, and it didn't work?  Did you try running as administrator, afterwards?

So then, did you try uninstall to see if it would work?  Problem is that your personalized settings under Windows 7 would be preserved and that might account for why you couldn't open.  There are a number of glitches wrecking programs when inplace upgrades are done.  And of course, you're left holding the bag.  MSFT will blame the other program, and the other program's inventors will blame MSFT.

I know a clean install of 9.8 works.  But the implication is that it had to be uninstalled prior to installing Windows 10.  So the next closest thing is to uninstall it, but first Occam's razor.. try running as Administrator first.  Because, a lot of the reported problems by Win10 installers is that they are shut out of their programs as if they didn't have permission.

#24 frogsfarms

frogsfarms

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

Managed to install Smartsuite 98 on all Windows versions so far, I only install 123, Wordpro, Agenda & Smart Center

What might help is installing it in a compatible mode, choose something like W98, XP or something.

There also is a set, a combination of all updates which makes the version 9.8.6.1, it is called CZOG9IE version 4.0.100.1124

If there is any need for it I can put it on line somewhere.

#25 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:58 PM

Okay, here's the tentative wording, which occurred to me when replying to Gordon Kelly, here :

“This email, and/or its attachments, was neither produced nor sent via Windows 10. Should you receive it on a Windows 10 device, your privacy will be compromised: see your End Users License Agreement Paragraph 1b.”

Also put that wording in the frankforum topic link you used.  Maybe someone better adept at legal lingo will have a better idea. That frankforum link is also in Forbes article comment, in case someone reading the article comes up with superior language.  Since frankforum is unmoderated, perhaps a famous brain will pontificate, knowing he/she cannot lose anonymity.  It would be better still, if MSFT would just scrap the EULA and revert to the old terms.  No one wants MSFT to fail.  No one wants to lose his own life over such terms, either.  And this really is, life-threatening to everyone.  First time I've ever crusaded on something.

Tentative wording:  this email was not sent from a Windows 10 device.  If you receive it on a Windows 10 device, your identity will be compromised.

Excellent idea. When you come up with your final wording, would love to see it posted here - for anyone else interested, as I certainly will be, and will use it myself. Fancy that ! My clients material (sensitive financial stuff concerning speculative investments) to be at the disposal of MSFT !

It boggles the mind ! Picture this simple scenario;

- I don't use Win 10

- Someone I do business with, does.

- I communicate sensitive, private information with that someone.

- My sensitive private information is compromised because of that fact - through no fault or intent of mine. Just .. WOW !!!

PS - I'm doing this on Linux. Gotta LOVE Linux - I do, and I'm as non techie as they come.

Edited by brainout, 14 August 2015 - 01:00 PM.

#26 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:04 PM

You won't want to violate the software terms.  Usually they prohibit copying or making available to others, even if free.  Did you check that? If allowed to distribute, then I can upload it for you to my domain, but I won't do that unless I can prove it's legal.  I even get jaywalking tickets (twice in my lifetime, last was 40 years ago), so I don't like violating laws...

Managed to install Smartsuite 98 on all Windows versions so far, I only install 123, Wordpro, Agenda & Smart Center

What might help is installing it in a compatible mode, choose something like W98, XP or something.

There also is a set, a combination of all updates which makes the version 9.8.6.1, it is called CZOG9IE version 4.0.100.1124

If there is any need for it I can put it on line somewhere.

#27 frogsfarms

frogsfarms

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:13 PM

Yep, your Yanks know how to fill your prisons:)

On the IBM site

-- SmartSuite release 9.8.6 (fix pack 6); includes all fixes in previous updates

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21180536

#28 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

Okay frogsfarms, well according to that link it's something one must purchase.  So I can't upload it, sorry.  Still, at least the fix pack is here posted for whomever wants it.  Thank you!

#29 BDH_2222

BDH_2222

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:36 PM

After many tries to re-install program (lots of register warning messages) I somehow succeeded in getting it loaded. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

BDH 

#30 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:43 PM

I'm so sorry it wasn't easier, BDH!  Microsoft has never been good at installing atop a prior version of its own OS, and I don't understand why they force that method now.  They could just peek in at the machine, don't have to overwrite it.  This makes many customers unhappy, including you. It didn't work as an install method back when Windows 98 first came out, and it doesn't work now.

I remember when I first learned that Win7 came out, I was complaining about it in the PC World Forums (now defunct), so went to IBM and asked them about Lotus 123, as I can't operate without it (designed my own actuarial templates).  They told me not to use it, that it's not compatible with Lotus 123.  Sure enough, when I installed it on a previously-installed Win7 machine, it warned me of incompatibilities too (sure, it competes with Excel!) -- but installed okay.  Win10 gave me no warning, but then I didn't have it on the machine prior to Win10's installation.  No warning, with Win10.

I think the incompatibilities have to do with the Internet functions. Same problem exists for MS Outlook 2003 and prior.

Edited by brainout, 14 August 2015 - 09:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users