Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lotus 123 and Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Barnard

Rick Barnard

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

Ok Ok I may be the last person on earth using Lotus 123 but it serves my purpose.  Anyone know if it will work on Windows 10, works fine on 8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:25 PM

YES IT WORKS in Windows 10.  You're not the last person on earth.  DOS Lotus 1-2-3 version 2.x is core to my business. Most US Government agencies still want wk1 format, too.  What kind of calculations do you use it for the most?

I couldn't get it to work in 8.1, 32-bit.  Had to use DOSbox, and the same DOSbox works just fine in 64-bit Windows 10.  (Same setup works for Linux too.)

So download and install DOSbox, plus copy your LOTUS and 123 folders to the same places they are on your current Windows.  If you use a batch file in root, you'll need to copy that to the root of Win10, too.

I'm assuming you already right-clicked on Properties for your 123.exe to size the window via Fonts, and specified the expanded memory, right?

DOSbox' own configuration file specs, also depend on the size of the window you want (search on my name, there, for details) -- and, on the speed of calculation you want.  After you download Dosbox,

• look in your username\AppData\Local\Dosbox for the Dosbox-0.74.conf file: it includes instructions on how to alter the configurations in that file. 
  • At the end of it is an [autoexec] section, where you can put the mount command, 123.exe's command, or any batch file calls. 
  • Make a desktop shortcut on the Dosbox.exe file, which is in Program Files x86\Dosbox, post-installation.
  • Then just click on the shortcut, to run 123.

Sounds harder than it is.  You'll figure it out:  If not, just let me know.

You might wonder why the Windows DOS screen looks so bad.  The resolution in Windows 10 is awful. I hope they fix it soon.  Some kind of layering: like a copy of a copy of a copy of a graphic image, even for many of their ported-over menus from Windows 7.

Yell at me also, if I make no sense. :clapping:

Edited by brainout, 25 July 2015 - 02:19 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 Rick Barnard

Rick Barnard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:46 PM

LOL you're even more hard core than I am.  I use Lotus 123 Ver 9 which is windows based.  I have macros that are at least 200 hundred lines long and totally wouldn't translate to Excel.  Also I use circular equations all the time and Excel won't allow them.  I keep saying once Lotus stops working it will be time to sell my business

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:05 PM

Yeah, me too. Commutations tables HAVE to be circular, so yeah the CIRC indicator is on all the time, and I use F9 three times to calc manually for that reason.  So now your macros can work, but in DOS.  Then you can upload to Excel, to do formatting and printing, sending the file to IRS or whoever you send it to.

Is this what you wanted, though?  For I don't have version 9 for Windows.  I do have Smart Suite 9.x (think it's 9.4-9.8 versions, multiple copies), but it's not anywhere near the same?

Edited by brainout, 25 July 2015 - 03:07 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 Rick Barnard

Rick Barnard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

I use smartsuite millennium which actually may be version 9.5, in any case the last one they made.  You can change the iterations which will automatically do the F9 thing for you

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

Okay, well I'll install it and report back.  WAIT: what kind of calcs do you create?  Commutations are pretty rough: it's for defined benefit plans, so a lot of date-intensive evaluation and age-weighted commutations for longevity.  But if you do graphs or other kinds of calcs, then even if I get SmartSuite to install in Win10, how can I prove if it will handle your calcs?  What I know, is that usually whatever works in 8.1, will also work in 10.

I got 97, 9.0 and 9.6 besides 9.8.2  So I don't have 9.5.  Lemme know which one you want me to install, and whether you want the whole suite, or only parts.

9.8.2 is actually the latest version.  Earlier ones are here.  Wow, it's really increased in price.  My average cost was something like $12.

EDIT:  I installed the complete 9.8.2 package, stuck one of my actuarial worksheets in there and it calculated instantly.  What else do you want me to test?

Edited by brainout, 25 July 2015 - 04:21 PM.

#7 Rick Barnard

Rick Barnard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:18 PM

Yeah I checked I have 9.5    The only things are use are 123 and Approach.  Both have worked without problem in all versions of windows.  It pops up some warnings when installing but I've never run into an issue

#8 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:10 AM

Sorry for the delay, power went out.  123 probably will work fine, but I never used Approach (that's the database, right?) which also installed well.  I installed the 9.8.2 complete package.  Now, when you get 10, you can put it on a separate partition so you don't have to give up what you have now.  I'm not clear whether you'd have to buy a separate Smart Suite since it would be only one playing instance on the same machine, since you can only run one OS at a time.

Edited by brainout, 26 July 2015 - 06:11 AM.

#9 cja4sun

cja4sun

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

Glad to see a few others interested in Lotus Smartsuite.

Some years ago now, I reluctantly moved my important spreadsheets from 123 to Excel and a few db's from Approach to Access, but years of work in other files are kept in my archive folder. I install the suite on every computer so that I can access my archived files if needed.

Above all, I still use Lotus Organiser 6 as my main diary, anniversary  and contact lister. It is indispensible to me and far too large and thus difficult to successfully migrate to another program. Win 7 has served me well, Win 8 disappointed and Win10 is hopefully a way forward. I just hope that my older and beloved programs such as Lotus will be accepted and function as they have in Win 7.

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:34 PM

Yeah, cja4sun, but I only tested the wk1 files I use with it.  I never used the other features of the suite, but 9.8.2 runs without glitches at startup, so far as I can tell.

#11 dougaj4

dougaj4

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:54 PM

I am also a 123 user (since 1985), and I have been using version 9.5 with no problems on all Windows versions up to 8.1.

I recently installed Windows 10 and the installed 123 ran with no problems on most files, but on some I get a message about not being able to write to the registry and the file won't open.  If I start 123 "as administrator" it seems to work OK, including running macros and UDFs.

#12 BDH_2222

BDH_2222

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:17 PM

I have just installed Win 10. I have Lotus 123 version 9.8, which worked with Win 7. I can not get it to open with Win 10. I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

David

#13 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:04 PM

BDH_222, the reason you can't get it to open is that you installed on top of Windows 7, right?  Older programs never work after that.  They need to be uninstalled first (usually your personal files are kept, the uninstaller doesn't touch them), and then the program needs to be reinstalled AFTER the update of the Windows OS.

Same is true of earlier MS programs.  Windows just flat can't handle an inplace update atop earlier Windows unless all the third party programs are within about two years of the new Windows, and are MS programs.  Sometimes, not even then.  All the techies know this, the problem goes all the way back to Windows 95.  Problem is, the Windows 10 installer won't allow a true clean install until after you've installed it (lol what convoluted design that is).  Reason?  To vet the Windows installation you have, and wipe it out (the new Win10 license is much worse than the old one with Win7, see that link's video description for details).

So get out your SmartSuite 9.8 disks, and select Repair/reinstall.  That should leave all your personal files intact, but be sure to clone first (use Macrium Reflect Free version 6).

Edited by brainout, 11 August 2015 - 04:09 PM.

#14 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:37 PM

This may or may not be related. I am a long time Lotus 123 user. I have many hundreds of 123 spreadsheets. Every new machine I get, I install Lotus 123 - a message comes up saying 'Approach has known compatibility issues' or something like that, so I always install manually - as I'm only interested in  Spreadsheets and Wordpro Documents - I find both these to be clean, crisp, and great to use.

Recently I've been experimenting with Linux Mint 17.2 - presently running it off a USB flash drive, on trail. Love it.

Experimenting, went to my boot drive, found windows, users, etc, and tried to open some Lotus 123 spreadsheets. They opened with Libre ..  but .. blank .. darn it !!! Thought I was going to have quite a task ahead of me, if I was going to jump ship to Linux, which I will be, sooner or later.

Then, I tried opening yet another Lotus spreadsheet, whilst in Linux. IT OPENED, all info intact - not blank !!!

What ???  Long story short, it wasn't password protected.

Went back to Windows 7, removed passwords to 123 spreadsheets that were previously opening blank in Linux, went back to Linux, and .. viola .. opened with all info (but little formatting, which is fine by me).

So, if anyone is having problems opening in Win 10, they might see if their spreadsheets are password protected, and if so, remove the password, and see how you go.

JA

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#15 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:32 PM

Ahh, good points, jargos!  BTW, the wk1 spreadsheets run just fine in Linux via DOSbox.  Gotta use DOSbox in Windows as well, starting with Win8.   As for Excel, MS Office 2003 runs fine in Linux too.  Trick was to get the right wine setup (it wasn't good last year), but is fine now.  I've not tried running SmartSuite in Linux, but it probably works.

Really, now everything I'd need for the business will run in Linux, just in time since I can't afford to have any client data near Windows 10.  The License requires me to share everything with MSFT, Paragraph 2 of the Services Agreement which is incorporated by reference into the EULA Section 1.b.  Worse, Paragraph 3 of that same Services Agreement makes Microsoft my ruler instead of my own country, where it rules over whether I'm legal, moral, appropriate, or harming.  Apparently there are no nations anymore with citizens, and only MSFT has suzerainty.

Why the pundits are so quiet about all this, and why they and the other MS fanboys lambast anyone questionning these anti-constitutional terms, as 'FUD' or 'Luddites' or 'Microsoft haters', is quite alarming.  Bullies, that's what they are.  More reason to avoid the heinous license anyone can read for himself and know.. something's terribly wrong.  For why is this awful thing being PUSHED onto people?

So to find Linux able to absorb the workload just in time, is a boon beyond measure.

Edited by brainout, 11 August 2015 - 10:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users