Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost high memory usage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 YourBestFriend

YourBestFriend

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

I've attached a picture, this always happens when I turn on my computer for about 15-30 min. Process explorer says that wuauserv is using up the cpu, but this still happens whether or not I have updates that need to be installed. Is there anything wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YourBestFriend

YourBestFriend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:26 PM

Bump, this problem has been annoying me

Edited by YourBestFriend, 21 August 2015 - 05:27 PM.

#3 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:04 PM

I've attached a picture, this always happens when I turn on my computer for about 15-30 min. Process explorer says that wuauserv is using up the cpu, but this still happens whether or not I have updates that need to be installed. Is there anything wrong?

Hi YourBestFriend:

If you open Window Update and click on "View update history", can you confirm that you successfully installed all updates offered for the 11-Aug-2015 Patch Tuesday (my 32-bit Vista machine was offered 17 important updates and one optional update for Silverlight) as well as the out-of-band critical update for IE (KB3087985) released 18-Aug-2015?

I had a similar problem with svchost.exe and the wuauserv service consuming large amounts of CPU but never completing the update process - see my thread in the MS Answers forum titled August 2015 Windows Update for Vista Requires One Hour to Run to Completion.  My Patch Tuesday updates finally installed on 16-Aug-2015 but Windows Updates displayed "Checking for updates..." for almost 40 min before it finally reported that updates were available.

Attached File  Windows Update Trusted Installer 16 Aug 2014.png   57.91KB   1 downloads

There are links in that MS Answers thread to posts by other Vista users who have recently reported problems with Windows Update.  The post <here> in the Windows Sysinternals forum by moderator MagicAndre1981 speculates that Microsoft might have optimized their update servers to speed up downloads for newer Win 10 computers, causing unexpected server connection problems for Vista computers with slower CPUs and smaller amounts of RAM in the process.

EDIT:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my Windows Update setting has been changed to "Never check for updates (not recommended)" to prevent my Windows Update from automatically checking for updates and causing svchost.exe to consume high amounts of CPU. I plan to run the occasional maual update when I know my system is going to be idle for an hour or so until I'm sure that the problem is resolved.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 40.0.2 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 22 August 2015 - 04:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users