Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install XP disk does not work

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 chin00kie

chin00kie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:30 AM

I have given up trying to fix my Gateway laptop uning XP MCE. I bought a Gateway Operating system disk to reinstall and start over but the disk does nothing.  I have searched for an autorun file on the disk but I don't see one.  How can I get this disk to work?  There does not appear to be a recovery partition on my laptop. When I first got the machine I made a copy of the C: drive onto an external hard drive but I don't know how to try to resore it.  Could someone give me some help.  I ran "sfc.exe /scannow" but it wants me to insert disk one or two of the installation disks which I do not have.  It says the dll cache is corrupt.  Thank you in advance.  I am new to the forum and am honored to join you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:47 AM

Hello, and Welcome

What is the model number of the Gateway? How much RAM does it have. Right click My Computer > Properties. What is the GHz shown?

Can you post a screenshot of the root of the disk? It should have the following files depending on what SP it is.

windows_xp_folder.png

#3 chin00kie

chin00kie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:52 PM

Thank you for your help. The laptop is a MX6426 with 2gb ram. The disk is XP MCE for Gateway computers. The disk did not come with the machine. I will send screenshot when I get to a computer.I have scanned for autorun but it is not there. My computer says the cd may not be working because of dll issues. The cd locks up when I scan for .exe files.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:32 AM

If the disk you purchased is not XP MCE, the key that is on the COA sticker will not work for your new disk unless your new disk came with a new key.

Depending on what you use the computer for, a linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint would run very well on your computer.

XP MCE is a difficult OS to diagnose. I believe it came on two disks.

#5 chin00kie

chin00kie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:05 AM

Thank you for your help. This is a wonderful forum.  I was stumbling around trying to find out how to send a screenshot of my disk. I could not find the "My pictures" folder so I don't know where my computer stores a screenshot.  Pretty dumb right? Well I tried the "alt F10" thing and it seems to be working.  The restore is in progress.  I will update you when it completes.  Thanks again to all.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

No, you are not dumb. In fact pretty smart as I completely forgot about the possiblity of a recovery partition. Did you find the Alt + F10 key combination for a factory reset on another thread because I didn't mention it.

#7 chin00kie

chin00kie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

Thank you John, I did discover the Alt +F10 while searching elsewhere.  The restoration went very well except that my drivers don't work too well.  I have at least 9 with no drivers at all. Because of the driver issue my internet connection is unreliable.  Isn't it ironical that we lose all track of what steps we try when working on these machines.  Somewhere I had carefully backed up the drivers for this machine but now I cannot find them.  I don't want to buy another disk to resore them but it looks like after 8 hours of searching I'm going to give up. Gateway no longer supports their customers with old equipment.  They sold out to third party vultures who promise free downloads just to lure you into buying their products. I don't know how to update my drivers and a poor internet connection makes that even more challenging.  Thank you for your help. Any direction on finding drivers for a Gateway MX6426 would be appreciated. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

This is the only support site I found for the computer. No driver downloads available. Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager. If  there are, Right Click each device and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line for each device with the yellow exclamation mark.

#9 SafetySteve

SafetySteve

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

Have you thought about trying Linux?  Some of the flavors of Linux are both free and friendly.

Investigate Mint Linux 17.2 Mate.  I have that version running on several laptops from early 2007.  It installed without any problems, recognized the wireless and the video.  It just worked fine right away.

You can have a secure and working computer without much investment of your time and only the cost of a blank DVD.

The support for Mint is very good.

#10 chin00kie

chin00kie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:07 AM

Thank you for your help. I have not given that much thought but you have made me rethink my position.  I hear about Linux but know very little about it. Do windows programs run well on the system or do you have to reinvest in software?

#11 SafetySteve

SafetySteve

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:06 PM

I am a linux newbie myself.  I have been playing with it off/on for a few years but nothing serious.  I am getting more serious about it this year.  Here is what I have learned in my playing with Linux...

It is possible to run some Windows software in Linux.  To do that you use a linux application called Wine.  It is free software.  That creates a "compatibility layer" for at least some Windows software to run in.  I have never tried this myself.

The good news is that there is a LOT of GOOD software available under linux for free.  Depending upon your needs you may not need to invest any money at all.  You will just have an investment of your time to learn linux and how it works.  Just like you originally did with Windows.  There is very good office software, photo editing software, browsers, etc.  

There are many distributions of Linux.  Some are more beginner friendly than others.  You can find information on the various distributions at www.distrowatch.com  

When I was specifically looking for a beginner friendly version of linux for some older laptops that I was re-purposing to others and for myself, I ended up using Linux Mint 17.2 Mate Edition.  It has worked well on about a dozen different computers that I have tried it on. By that I mean the wireless cards work, the video works, the sound works, everything works without any downloading additional drivers.  And it has a very good software library.  

The good news is that you can download a few different live DVD's /Install Discs of the linux distributions that you are interested in. You can try them as a Live DVD in your computer without making any changes to your computer.  You can make sure that they work with your hardware. You can choose the one that is best for you right now.  And then if you want you can install it onto your hard drive. 

So if you are comfortable with downloading ISO files and using burning software on another computer to make some DVD's I say try it.  You might just like it.

#12 SafetySteve

SafetySteve

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

If you need to get data off your hard drive before you install Linux or another operating system, you can do that using a rescue cd.  Here is a good list of rescue cd's that I have used to recover data off of computers...

http://lifehacker.com/5984707/five-best-system-rescue-discs

These have a little bit of a learning curve, but not bad.  And the skill set that you gain is going to be useful for yourself and friends in the future.

Best,

Steve

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

Just for the record there is a pretty good Linux section on BC !  And I happen to know some of them, they are really quite friendly, Worth your time to have a look.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 chin00kie

chin00kie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:05 AM

Thank you John, Steve and Chris! You have been a wonderful help.  This is a great forum. I will look critically at the Linux solution. Thank you for your direction and for your help.

#15 SafetySteve

SafetySteve

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:17 AM

You are welcome.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users