Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Windows 10 Automatically install or prompt?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 bdpoop

bdpoop

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:11 AM

I was pretty sure you had to pre register for the download but even then I assumed you would still be prompted or asked if you wish to upgrade to 10.

I am hoping someone could confirm exactly what will happen on the 29th of July on computers that have pre registered and for those that have not pre registered as information seems patchy.

I do support for speciailst systems in the design industry as well as other clients across the UK and I have several clients who DO NOT wish at this point to automatically upgrade and mosts will not have clicked the pre register button and some probably will have.

What I need to know is what will happen on the 29th.  To make things more complicated I am away in Europe for 3 months and wont even be in the UK on the 29th.  I need to know it will be business as usual for my clients who are nearly all on Windows 7 Pro.

Would appreciate some answers from those who know.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:26 AM

According to....How to stop the Windows 10 Upgrade from downloading on your system

QUOTE:

The update does not auto-install - it will prompt you to install or schedule for later.

If you do not want the pre-download to occur then uninstall KB3035583 as detailed above.

The reservation system is not mandatory to get the upgrade.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:26 AM

Here is a FAQ page. You can also cancel  your reservation.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:57 AM

If you want, depending on how the updates are delivered to their systems (SCCM or WSUS), you can block the KB3035583 from being installed on the machines that are part of the domain. This is what we do at work. Our Sysadmin blocks every updates that aren't critical/security-related and only let throught those are. It's the easiest way to avoid a mess with the KB3035583 update if you ask ne.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:05 AM

I wonder how many small companies are going to be dealing with this. I can see employees clicking away. Do you want to upgrade to Windows 10. Sure why not.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:06 AM

If these companies have a good IT departement and a Sysadmin that is up-to-date on the situation, they'll implement the solution I posted above :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for these replies.  The companies that I work with are generally small peer to peer networks with no real system admins or network policies in place.  Perhaps 4 to 12 computers.  They will all have the windows 10 update icon in the system tray by now I think but I doubt many will have registered.  As long as its not an auto install I dont forsee a problem but like you say, somebody will go ahead and do it then call me when it all goes wrong.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:54 PM

You can call them and explain them how to uninstall it as well.

unite_blue.png

#9 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:49 AM

You can call them and explain them how to uninstall it as well.

Thanks but thats kind of what I am hoping to avoid as there are loads of them all over the UK and I am overseas at the moment.

As long as its not automatic then it shouldnt be a problem.

#10 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:41 AM

Another thought this morning.  One of my clients in the UK has 12 computers but they are on a limited connection both by bandwidth and allowance so the 3GB auto download will cause them real problems.  This morning I have logged in remotely from Germany to the ones I can get access to and removed the Windows update KB3035583, restarted and then hidden it in important updates.  I have however read that some people are finding it does still keep installing itself and then presumably on the 29th the download will still occur.

One machine has now crashed (and its the most important one) and it was stuck on Configuring Windows do not switch off for over an hour and is now back on but nothing is working, just the desktop with the revolving blue circle.

Microsoft really have not done anyone any favours with this.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:02 AM

The KB3035583 can reappear in the list when it gets reissued (which means that the update gets modified and Microsoft push it back out again).

unite_blue.png

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:28 PM

To avoid KB3035583 being reinstalled after you have uninstalled it first you need to "hide" the update, but that alone is not enough, you also need to set updates to the "check automatically but ask me before downloading or installing" mode. And then whenever new updates come out (check late very tuesday night or when you first log on every wednesday morning)install the security ones but not KB3035583 (it will reappear somtimes, when it does hide it again).
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:42 PM

I never heard that it auto-install. It always prompt you before installing.

#14 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:04 AM

Thanks

Too much intervention really.  I did hide it but I am reluctant to start setting machines to ask about updates as it will just generate more questions and confusion with end users. 

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:27 AM

Can't you send an email to all the users with a small explanation of what the KB3035583 is, and instructions (with screenshots) on how to hide it? I'm sure most users would understand them and be able to follow the instructions step-by-step if your documentation is clear.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users