Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sudo su: /dev/sda "Permission Denied" in TAILS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:13 AM

I used the above commmand with that result.

I thought as sudo su, I had root privileges. How can root be denied?

Is there another way to access devices in TAILS?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

I've never used TAILS, but it's a Debian derivative and I have Debian 8 in a virtual-machine. On Debian you have an enabled root account by default, if the same is true of TAILS then you can login to the root account using:

su root

and then entering your root account's password. To get out of root, type:

exit

In regards to your error message. "sudo su: /dev/sda" is not a valid command.
1. The colon shouldn't be in there.
2. "sudo su" can be used to gain root access, if your user is a sudoer. On Debian 8.0 no users are sudoers by default, in fact Sudo isn't even installed by default; not sure if the same is true of TAILS. To see if Sudo is installed type:

sudo -V

If Sudo is installed it will show the version number. If you need you can install Sudo (this will require logging in as root) and then add your user to the sudoers list. One reason for using this approach (sudo su) is that when you use su normally you have to enter the password of the user account you're switching to, but if you're using the su command as root you don't. By using "sudo su" you give your user elevated privilidges, which means, like when using root, you won't be prompted to enter the password for the user you're trying to login as, but because you're using Sudo you will have to enter your current user's password.
3. You've listed a file "/dev/sda" (in this case a block-device), but haven't said what to do with it, and it shouldn't be appenended to your root login command either because it will be interpreted as a user account you're trying to switch to. Even if you attach it using & or && the command will be run as your user, not as root.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users