Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Instantly Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DuFF

DuFF

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:40 PM

I've been building a computer for about a week now and I was almost done today. The lights were on, fans were spinning and everything was going great. Until I plugged in the keyboard...

The computer instantly shut down after plugging in the keyboard and since then will not boot. When the power button is pushed, it turns on for a fraction of a second before automatically shutting down. No beeps or any other warning signs. I'm completely lost. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daniel3679

Daniel3679

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:28 PM

have you tried booting without the keyboard in
Dan - If its not broken dont fix it

Posted Image

#3 DuFF

DuFF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:31 PM

Alright, I think I've narrowed it down to the motherboard. I found a Help section in my motherboard manual that says that the system will automatically power off the system to protect the CPU from overheating. After reseating the CPU and heatsink, the computer stayed on for about 20 seconds, then shut down again. Reseating it again was met with mixed results.

I've gone through all the steps listed in the manual to fix the problem (reset CMOS, check that thermal paste is even across the surface) but nothing seems to really work. I'm about ready to return the motherboard (again). Any suggestions before I do that?

@Daniel3679: Yes, I even tried pulling out the video card, hard drive and CD-ROM drive. Still the same instant shutdown.

Edited by DuFF, 11 July 2006 - 05:33 PM.

#4 Daniel3679

Daniel3679

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:34 PM

did you put enough thermal paste on? are you using a heatsink and fan that came with the motherboard or processor :thumbsup:
Dan - If its not broken dont fix it

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users