Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Front panel audio repair help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:23 PM

The front headphone jack split open (front bay audio panel) and disintegrated into 6 pieces. I have a spare 6.5 mm jack as well as another 3.5 mm one, but it only has 2 contacts instead of the four on the broken one.

I can work out the two wires that correspond with the two contacts on the new jack, the left and right. But I don't know what to do with the two leads left over (headphone detection and sense or whatever) these two seem to be responsible for detecting the presence of a plug, so could I just solder a switch across the two wires so that I can just toggle it manually?

There is a pair of audio connectors on the case itself which I can't connect to the mobo, so if it is not possible to use a 2 contact jack, then I have the option to desolder the old microphone jack on the case itself (which I don't use)

I hope this all makes sense...

~7 year old Gigabyte full tower

MSI 970 Gaming motherboard

Aerocool Strike X X-1000 front panel 

spare parts:

6.5 mm 2 contact jack (with 3.5 mm adapter)

3.5 mm 2 contact jack

potentially a 3.5 mm 4 contact jack if I desolder the one on the case.

various wires and switches

thanks

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PeterMayson

PeterMayson

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:50 AM

Yes you can use that 2 contact jack and switches but it will be more convenient the 3rd option to desolder the mic jack if you are sure it is similar to the headphones jack.

Don't forget to short the contacts 1-2 and 3-4 after desolder the jack as normally they are shorted when unplugged. Otherwise your Mobo will think the mic is plugged in.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

Besides the left and right audio channels, there's a ground and a pair connected to the board mounted jack to sense or switch the headphone circuits.

#4 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:35 AM

Ok, thanks. I thought about it and I'll probably just swap mic wires with the headphone wires on the cable as both jacks are identical.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users