Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.7z file will not interact

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Polite Master

Polite Master

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:18 PM

Hello Bleeping Computer Forums,

I have a 60 GB, important .7z archive. It was created with 7-Zip's default compression settings on my Windows 7 64-bit host and saved to a non-OS hard drive. At the time, the file was normal. Almost a week ago, I reinstalled Windows. Today I discovered that this one file will not interact with me. When I right-click and select Properties, nothing appears (I eventually restarted explorer.exe in surprise). When I try to open it with 7-Zip, the Open File window hangs on 0% progress. When I try to copy it, Windows gets stuck on calculating. When I scan it with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (about 2 minutes), no progress or contents are indicated. After interacting with it and attempting to gracefully reboot, Windows hangs on Logging out... and I have to hard reset. I was able to make a copy of the file using an Ubuntu Live CD. However, the distro does not come with 7-Zip, so I could not extract the archive. The copy I made with Ubuntu suffers the same problems in Windows.

I have never seen this kind of behavior before. I am unsure if it is corrupted nor what tools to employ. I am very scared at the moment, as this file (and its backup) are affected. Thank you very much for reading and in advance for discussion!

Edited by hamluis, 25 July 2015 - 04:42 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSOD to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 carlosmartillo

carlosmartillo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:49 PM

It sounds like a file corruption issue; in a similar situation I recently encountered running running chksdsk with the /F /V /R /B switches , add /X to dismount drive if needed, 

Use a command prompt, run as administrator, type chkdsk /? to get a list of options and a syntax example.

It took a long time - 2+ hours to run, and there have been no problems ever since.

Good luck.

#3 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

It is also a possibility that since it is a 60GB archive, Windows or even 7ZIP for the record is stuck at 0%. Any reason why you did not try to split the archive?

Did you try opening this archive using some other software like WinRar (Or Universal Extractor?) Any chance you tried to open up this archive on a different machine (Probably with higher end configuration) ?

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#4 Polite Master

Polite Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

Thank you for your feedback, carlosmartillo and Pranav.

I discovered that the underlying problem was my anti-virus software (Avast). It erroneously marked a NirSoft product in my archive as a virus. Because of its hooks into the kernel, my AV did not allow Windows or programs in the user space to touch the entire .7z. This is good, although I am disappointed that it caused the Windows shutdown issue. I was able to use the .7z after adding it to the exclusions list, going into safe mode (where the AV does not start up), and after disabling/uninstalling my AV.

I am familiar with chkdsk and will be performing one on my hard drives shortly.

I did not split the archive because I am in the process of organizing it. I will definitely consider that now. WinRAR did not work either, and the file was on my high-end machine.

Thank you very much again!

Edited by Polite Master, 26 July 2015 - 07:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users