Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what happened to my photo?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 trolon17

trolon17

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:43 PM

Hi everyone,

I took a screenshot on my phone and it's in the form of a .png file.  For some reason now when I try to open it on my computer or my phone,

it appears that there is a slim bar across the length of the photo making it blurry and unreadable.  Some photos have a huge bar, some have smaller bars of blurriness.

Also, some of them can't be opened with Windows Photo Gallery.  However, when I open them with paint, it works... but with bars of blurry and scrambled mess.

Here is an example of what it looks like:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3t02-rbhax1WE1sLXYzTXUwRUU/view?usp=sharing

Could someone please tell me what happened to my photos?  Did they get corrupted or something?

Thanks in advance for the help!  

Edited by trolon17, 24 July 2015 - 09:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:48 PM

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. The image you linked to looks reasonably sharp even at full screen width on a 24 inch monitor, but there is a black bar across the bottom of the image and there are a some grayed rectangles on the screen. some of these seem to be to present data but at least one appears to be empty - the one underneath 'Level 4 1d 23h'. Is it the black bar or these grayed rectangles you are referring to ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 trolon17

trolon17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:46 PM

The bar right underneath the Level 4 1d 23h is supposed to be an empty spot.  I am referring to the bar which runs across the bottom of the whole image.  I have no idea what happened there.... 

I don't know if its corrupted or scrambled data, etc.

#4 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:28 AM

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the image to see what happened. Also saved a copy as a JPEG to work with.No problems opening with Windows Live Photo Gallery but a band of what looks like scrambled data appears across the bottom. Then I opened it with FastStone Image Viewer and surprisingly the offending band appeared black. ???

I Combined the images into one (in PhotoScape) and then back to FastStone to label and resize. A clumsy way of doing things but I hope this illustrates the problem although I don't know what caused it. I suspect it has something to do with your phone. Also the original PNG image and file seem a bit large.

Good luck in solving the mystery.   :)  

fs-edt%20640%20experiment%20for%20bc%202

#5 trolon17

trolon17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

That definetely accurately illustrates the problem I'm experiencing right now.  On my computer, since I'm using Windows Live Photo Gallery, I see the scrambled image and not the blacked out one. (I see the one on the left)  

However, I still have no idea what happened there though and how to fix it... 

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,316 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:23 PM

Violetrose is obviously smarter than I am !  I never thought of looking at it in a different viewer other than my default of Irfanview !

But now that it is settled that the problem is this black or semi-transparent (depending on viewer) gray bar across the bottom I suspect it is a camera problem. I am reminded of what used to happen with film cameras when using flash if the shutter speed was set too high - you would get a black bar on the image where the shutter curtains had closed before the flash had got to that part of the negative.

This image is obviously taken from a game frame. Have you tried taking any other screen shots of a different nature - perhaps a screenful of text - to say if you get the same effect ?  If you do I would say it is definitely a camera problem. If you don't, it may be a problem with the way the game appears on your phone. It would be worth trying on someone else's phone to see if the same thing happens.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 trolon17

trolon17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:14 PM

I didn't use a camera to take this screenshot.  It is just taken from my phone's display.  I suspect that the screenshot might have corrupted after I took it.  In addition, I have approximately 50 or so photos that look like this.  I have a feeling that my phone's writing function may be malfunctioning.

Anyhow, I'm really interested in recovering and reparing these photos... is that a possibility or do you think they are damaged beyond repair?

#8 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:12 PM

Often there is a simple and very basic reason behind many problems.

Is it possible that, during the original download process, there were interruptions to (mobile/wifi) transmissions...and thus you have ended up with incomplete image files downloaded to your phone.   :question:

#9 trolon17

trolon17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:48 PM

Well, I didn't download these photos.  I literally took a screenshot of my screen while I was playing the game on my phone, so it would have saved directly onto my phone's memory.  

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can attempt to fix these photos though?

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,316 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

Sorry for any confusion - I realise I expressed myself badly. I don't use a smart phone myself  and I do quite a lot of photography !  For "I suspect it is a camera problem" read "I suspect it is a problem with the frame capture system", and for "definitely a camera problem" read "definitely a frame capture problem".

As I said above it could be a problem with the way the game renders on your screen, try screenshots of something else - perhaps a screenful of text - to see if the problem occurs there or not. If it does, it's something to do with the phone; if it doesn't, it's something to do with the game.

With regards to recovering the images, there is probably no easy way to do this. If you can indeed view them in the condition Violetrose showed in the left hand of her two images you could recreate the images using 'Paint' or some other image editor to replace the pixcels which are not the right colour with pixcels which are. This is incredibly tedious and quite time consuming but at least you have clues as to what colour they should be in the gray bar and the rest of the image. If you can only see them with the black bar then you would only be guessing what pixcels should go where and they are probably not recoverable. Worth a try.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 trolon17

trolon17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:03 PM

Well, I know for certain it's a certain problem to do with my phone... I looked online on phone forums and it seems to be the memory corrupts.  Funny thing is, when I first take it, it doesn't corrupt.  It's after a while where it randomly corrupts.  Either way, I have solved that problem in the future by having cloud backups so that even if something happens, I'll have a backup on Google!  I definetely learned my lesson though.... 50 photos unfortunately gone bad.

I guess it's gonna be a really hard process in orer to repair the photos.  It seems like it's gonna be a lot of time and maybe not worth it, especially with 50 photos.

I would imagine something like this would be almost impossible to recover.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3t02-rbhax1QS1CcXNBWmNEYTA/view?usp=sharing

It definitely isn't great to lose so many photos... I'm almost sure they won't be recoverable.  I'll guess I'll just save them and hope in the future there will be some magical program that will be able to recover them.  Now, I guess I have to just get over my loss....

(On a side note, I heard it's bad to cut and paste to transfer files from phone to computer. Is that true? Can photos corrupt during transfer?  Being an avid photographer Chris, do you normally copy and paste your files during transfer and double check them in order to ensure they are good?)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by trolon17, 27 July 2015 - 08:09 PM.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,316 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:26 AM

I heard it's bad to cut and paste to transfer files from phone to computer

With camera cards I normally remove the card and plug it into a computer. If it's my wife's laptop, it has an SD slot, on my own, which doesn't, I use a USB card reader. On both computers I use Windows Explorer and 'drag and drop' for copying across the images. When I have been asked to take photos off a phone I usually connect the phone with the appropriate cable and again use 'drag and drop'. Once you have confirmed that the images are on the computer then they can safely be deleted from the card or phone.

'Cut and paste' should work as well as 'drag and drop', but there is the risk that if something goes wrong with the transfer files having been 'cut' may not be there when you go back to try again. 'Drag and drop' between two different drives, such as a computer and an SD card, is a 'copy' operation which leaves the original files untouched and therefore I would consider it safer.

Having looked at this second image I think you are going to have to accept these as gone but at least yu now have a back up operation in place for future images.  If, as you say, this is a fault on the phone is it new enough to have a warranty claim ?  Might be worth looking into.

Chris Cosgrove

#13 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:15 AM

Yes, Chris, whatever method (I mostly use copy and then paste to a specific folder in the computer) it is important not to lose the original files until all the needed copies and back-ups have been done....just a thought re possible corruption of the original files - be it cable, card or usb, there is a procedure to 'safely remove and eject...'

Here's a link to MS for the proper instructions, trolon17; hope they are useful - cheers, :)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows7/Safely-remove-devices-from-your-computer

#14 trolon17

trolon17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

Thanks Chris and violetrose for your wonderful insight!  As for the warranty claim, it definietely isn't a possibility.  My phone is just about 3 years old, so it's definitely out of warranty.  I guess I'll continue to monitor the situation and if this continues, I'll look into getting a new phone.  As for the photos, I'll guess I'll continue to play around with some other photo recovery software in an attempt to recover them.  If it's not recoverable, I guess I'll just keep the data and hopefully one day, something powerful enough will be released to repair the photo :)

As for the copy and paste, I think I will start doing that now.  I've always been trying to save time cutting and pasting because it's faster but it seems like I've learned two valuable lessons from this experience. 1. Always have backups! 2. Don't use cut and paste!  Also, I'll definitely remember to unplug the phone correctly, I think it's a definite possibility that file corruption could have occured there!

Anyhow, I'd like to really thank both of you, Chris and violetrose, for your time!  If anyone else has any other suggestions as to how I can repair the photos, it'd be definietely apreciated! I'll also update this post if I find a way to fix the photos!

Thanks once again! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users