Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need tips on transferring stuff from old Vista PC to a 8.1 PC

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:31 PM

Need to transfer all my stuff from my old PC which has Vista to my new one which has 8.1 on it.   Problem is, Easy Transfer does not work between those two operating systems, since Windows has to be asshats and severely limit ET's capabilities in 8.1 (for a stupid reason, I might add).

SO...what methods would I use to get the old stuff onto the new PC? I have a large external hard drive that I tried using ET to load stuff onto, but supposedly there's a "problem with the selected media", probably because I have it rigged as FAT 32 (to work well with the Mac computers that are all over at the community college I go to). So, what other ways can I do it?

Anyone have any ideas they can throw at me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:44 PM

I have not used laplink personally but a person on the Forum said they used it successfully to move programs and settings from one computer to another. You might want to contact Laplink's customer support for any questions you might have. I would ask them if a Vista computer could be migrated to a Windows 8 computer. The professional version has a cable that attaches to both computers to transfer the data.

http://www.laplink.com/index.php/individuals/pcmover-for-windows-8/feature-overview

Otherwise you would have to copy your data by copying to a external drive and then to the Windows 8 computer. All programs you have would have to be reinstalled. Another option would be to connect both computers to a network and copy all your personal data over the network.

After you are sure all your data is transferred remove Vista from the computer and install a linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 July 2015 - 06:46 PM.

#3 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:47 PM

I have not used laplink personally but a person on the Forum said they used it successfully to move programs and settings from one computer to another. You might want to contact Laplink's customer support for any questions you might have. I would ask them if a Vista computer could be migrated to a Windows 8 computer. The professional version has a cable that attaches to both computers to transfer the data.

http://www.laplink.com/index.php/individuals/pcmover-for-windows-8/feature-overview

Otherwise you would have to copy your data by copying to a external drive and then to the Windows 8 computer. All programs you have would have to be reinstalled. Another option would be to connect both computers to a network and copy all your personal data over the network.

Then once your data is transferred remove Vista from the computer and install a linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu.

Thanks for the tips.  As for the network thing, I tried that using easy transfer and it didn't seem to work. Is there any way to try it WITHOUT Easy Transfer? 

And I will also check into laplink

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:58 PM

If neither computer is connected to a home network, you would need to set a home network up and transfer files through it. If you had two Windows 7 or later computers it would be relatively easy to set up a Home Network but with Vista and Windows 8 it would take more to accomplish. At that point, it would probably be easier to copy your files from Vista to an external drive. All your personal data would be in the Users directory under your login name(s). Don't forget to backup your browser bookmarks/favorites and any email if you use an email client instead of web mail.

#5 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:19 PM

If neither computer is connected to a home network, you would need to set a home network up and transfer files through it. If you had two Windows 7 or later computers it would be relatively easy to set up a Home Network but with Vista and Windows 8 it would take more to accomplish. At that point, it would probably be easier to copy your files from Vista to an external drive. All your personal data would be in the Users directory under your login name(s). Don't forget to backup your browser bookmarks/favorites and any email if you use an email client instead of web mail.

I already have a "backup" file of my old computer saved to my external HD; it's been there for several months. (and not much has changed on my old computer during that time, if anything. )  Is there a way to just put all the stuff from that backup onto my new computer, and do the "transfer" that way?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:59 PM

What did you use to do the backup? If you simply copied your files from the users directory you can copy your personal data to your Documents folder on your Windows 8 computer but I am not sure you can copy over your whole USER profile form Vista to Windows 8. That is something laplink would do or Easy Transfer which unfortunately does not work for you.

This page says it is possible to use Easy-Transfer to transfer from Vista to 8. This page says it can be done with XP to 8 via a network.

#7 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:02 PM

What did you use to do the backup? If you simply copied your files from the users directory you can copy your personal data to your Documents folder on your Windows 8 computer but I am not sure you can copy over your whole USER profile form Vista to Windows 8. That is something laplink would do or Easy Transfer which unfortunately does not work for you.

This page says it is possible to use Easy-Transfer to transfer from Vista to 8. This page says it can be done with XP to 8 via a network.

What I used to back up was the built-in backup utility in Windows Vista.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:10 PM

I am not familiar with Windows ownackup program. Does it put the files into a single backup file or are all the files separate. Can you see the files in the backup? I  am not sure if the backup utility on 8.1 can recover or browse files made on a Vista backup. 

Edit: I just read the Easy Transfer to 8.1 is not available as you posted. That was lost when 8 updated to 8.1. Doesn't surprise me one bit that Microsoft did this.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/security/windows-easy-transfer-win-81/882d4258-046d-4e39-9da3-efe7c4bb7cdd

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 July 2015 - 09:25 PM.

#9 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:28 PM

The backup is put into 1 file. When you click the "Backup Files" folder (inside the main folder), there are a large number of zip files. Each zip files appears to hold a small portion of the backup. That apparently is how that utility does it. :) 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:33 PM

I am not sure if Windows 8.1 would be able to explore that backup so you could copy what files you want. It looks like the Backup and Restore utility that was present in Vista and 7 is gone in 8.1 also.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-happened-to-backup-restore

#11 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:38 PM

I am not sure if Windows 8.1 would be able to explore that backup so you could copy what files you want. It looks like the Backup and Restore utility that was present in Vista and 7 is gone in 8.1 also.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-happened-to-backup-restore

Figures. I had to get me an 8.1 computer. :(  I figured there would be some issues like this, and sure enough.

#12 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:43 PM

so then my question is, again: what are my options now? and what are the steps to carry out the option?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:57 AM

Option 1: You will not be able to transfer your settings, only data. Copy your personal data from the USERS directory and any other locations such as a separate data partition to an external drive. Then copy to the USERS directory of the Windows 8 computer. Most likely to the Documents and Downloads folder. You will not be able to use the backup created with the Vista backup utility.

Option 2: Use software like laplink to transfer applications and settings along with your data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users