Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Reformating And Zeroing Harddrive (xp)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cellophate

cellophate

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:23 PM

i realize this is most likely a stupid question, but i wanted to check. i want to reformat my harddrive due to a few small errors that i've been trying to fix for a few days now. i tried reformating my drive through ms-dos, but it asks for a "volume name" and i wasn't sure what that is. i also wanted to check into zeroing out my drive, if i do so, will i still be able to boot from the cd drive to re-install windows? i'm running windows xp right now. i've read a few things that said you don't have to reformat in ms-dos, you can just boot up with the xp disc, does it still work the same or does that leave some data behind. i was given this computer a few years back, and i think there might be some corrupt programs lingering that i want to get rid of. any advice would be a great help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:28 PM

If you do a quick format from the XP disk it just makes all files *.old and to be over written.

A full format will do a surface scan and fully format the drive.

If you are worried about someone discovering your "old" files that once were: A big magnet may be your answer.

(Note: I wouldnt try the magnet though as it will surely make the Hard Drive go ka-put permanetly)

Through the grape vine: multple full formats may make old data non-recoverable

PS... if its just some old programs, then a quick format will do you just fine
JU$T1N~1

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:46 PM

Make sure you have your 25 digit Windows XP key number before you reinstall Windows. If the computer was commercially built it should be on a sticker on the case of the computer.

If you do not know it download Keyfinder V1.41 from
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/
which will provide it for you.

What version of the Windows CD do you have? If it is a retail version (not preinstalled by the computer manufacturer) it should give you the option of formatting the disk when you boot from it. Just try booting from the Windows CD and see what options it gives you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users