Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Is youtube-mp3.org safe?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gacl_*

Guest_gacl_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

Hello I am wondering if this one website is safe and if i should use it or not.  Does it contain any malware or viruses from visiting the website?  Have any of you guys used it?  Let me know.  Thanks!

Edited by gacl, 24 July 2015 - 03:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

There are number of web resources which can be used to check suspicious/unfamiliar sites or get second opinions.-- Use several different vendors when performing queries to confirm the results of page content. Even doing this, you still need to be cautions of other links on the page itself which can redirect to a malicious page.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:55 PM

This is the one I have frequently used in the past. Worked well for me.

Convert Youtube to MP3 & Download Youtube Videos - Free Downloader

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

Hi gacl :)

Youtube-mp3.org is indeed legitimate. I've been using it since it came out and from all of these online converters, it's the fastest there is. Sometimes however it won't be able to convert videos to .mp3 if there's copyrights on them (which is fair game) but other than that, it's perfectly legitimate :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 terrierlogic

terrierlogic

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

I just tried to use this, after seeing "this is safe"comments on many forums, and the converted file you download is called "Developer.mp3" and the audio is someone saying "Developers, developers, developers..." So obviously no longer functioning, and not safe.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:34 AM

Are we talking about the same website?
http://www.youtube-mp3.org/
Still working properly for me. The "Developers" is the video of the default URL that is shown on the website when you go on it.
iO3EEta.png
M2jmTtz.png
So yes, it is still safe to use.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:25 PM

I am not familiar with the specific site in question but the general rule with video download sites is as follows:

The websites are generally safe, obviously make sure the file it is offering to you is of a video format (or audio, some sites let you download just the audio track of a chosen youtube video) not an exe (if the file is an exe assume the site is trying to distribute malware, Never return to a site which says it will let you download a video/audio but offers an exe/scr) in which case the SITEs are generally safe BUT the adverts found on youtube downloder websites are often pop-ups and some of these could be adverts from malicious authors. So while the download sites may be safe the adverts can be dangerous, make sure to have ad blockers and anti-exploit protection, and always heavily scan the downloaded files even though there is very little chance* of a video/audio format** every carrying a virus.

*not NO chance though, on very rare occasions there are circumstances where an exploit for video/audio playing software is discovered and some specially crafted video or audio files can exploit it.

** always make sure files are really the type they claim to be, have windows file explorer set to show the full file extensions even for known file types, so you can't get tricked by a double extensioned file like trust_me_i'm_harmless.avi.exe .

Edited by rp88, 09 March 2016 - 03:26 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 SillyMan0108

SillyMan0108

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

I am sorry, but if you look at it today, it warns you about lawsuits. I recommend you do not visit this site anymore, as you may get a virus or some other bad thing. It used to be a good site, i would get all my MP3s from there. Now, it warns you about getting a lawsuit. I am really sad about that, and you might be too. Sorry about the inconvienience.

Sincerely,

SillyMan0108.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

You are always at risks of getting in a lawsuit when you download copyrighted material. It doesn't make the site less secure at all.

unite_blue.png

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

Litigation is the name of the game these days.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 Person979

Person979

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:30 PM

I dont think its safe. When I tried it a mackeeper popup came up and it started automatically downloading it. :(

#12 iamanan

iamanan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:04 AM

YouTube-mp3.org has safe downloads but if you download on a mubile device there is a chance that you get a pop-up saying DEVICE INFECTED WITH VIRUS! and you can not exit the tab. So your browser (Samsung Internet for me) and Google Chrome will not work. So use Opera.

#13 h2converter

h2converter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:06 PM

youtube-mp3 closed, I use h2converter.com, tool convert youtube videos to mp3 & mp4

#14 mishop

mishop

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

With https://www.ytbmp3.com you can download whole playlist, trim sounds, without limits.

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:51 AM

I just want to warn viewers of this topic to be very wary of first time posters' recommendations of downloaders. I haven't

checked out their recommended downloaders....but suspect spam.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users