Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer extremely slow to boot from HDD or USB

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Naming Is Hard

Naming Is Hard

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:29 AM

I hope this is in the right place! 

I have an older computer, pentium 4, gigabyte motherboard, 3gb ram. Not really sure of all the specs its a family members computer. Basically if i try and boot it to the OS sometimes it'll work but most of the time it'll just freeze up and do nothing. when it does load its extremely slow, slower then even this hardware should be. Trying to reinstall the OS from a USB but all USB's load way to slow to use. I've had this problem before and in the past it's been a damaged HDD but this HDD boots and works fine in other computers and other HDDs that i know are fine don't work.

Not sure what else could be the cause, what else should i try?

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2015 - 03:10 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:32 AM

I have an older computer ... Not really sure of all the specs its a family members computer

I have older computers with this problem come in all the time. Most of the time it's adware/spyware loading on boot that slows the computer almost to a standstill. This is typical especially if there are adolescents in the house that download "free" games off the internet, and PUPs & adware come with them.

Before we tear in to an analysis of the components, run some free cleanup tools that are powerful, but safe to use:

Go Here and download and run, in this order (scroll down the page):
> Rkill

> Adwcleaner

> JRT

Go Here and download Malwarebytes Free version AV: Choose the free version (Left, gray column, download button at the bottom)
  ** Bottom of the download page: note the link to the uninstaller provided by Malwarebytes.org for removal after the scan and cleaning is done.

You will get an ominous warning message that your free trial will end in one hour, pay no attention. The free version will start to run,
       allow it to run and remove all it finds (if anything). Click on the Scan tab to see progress. Then use the removal tool provided to clear it off your system.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:08 AM

I'd seen this caused by USB connected drives.  Remove the USB drives and see if the boot time decreases.  My machine takes a few minutes because I have eight drives connected via USB.  If I disconnect those drives it boots in less than a minute.  Since I don't want to be constantly disconnecting and reconnecting the drives I just live with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users