Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Network adapter

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Judge_Dredd

Judge_Dredd

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:40 PM

About 5 months ago I purchased an Notebook HP 14-r002TX. And about a month ago I got a virus I couldn't shake so I just erased the drive and reinstalled windows 7. But I now wasn't able to connect to the internet, my network symbol was showing "no connection" additionally I was showing the "!" symbol next to my "3d video controller" and "ethernet controller" drivers in computer management.

I found some drivers and installed them without paying much attention to the order or really which ones I installed figuring that once I was able to connect I could always update the drivers by right clicking in computer management and letting the computer sort out what it needed. 

Now I am able to connect to the internet and I was even able to visit HP's website and use their software to detect and correct driver issues, but the problem persists. I still have "!" icons on "3d video controller" and "ethernet controller" in computer management, additionally after about an hour or so my network icon turns form "network connected" to "no connections available" or to "plug in a cable". When I right click on the adapters or the devices with the yellow "!" symbol the computer tells me "it's all set, they're updated bro" or "I can't find it". I am frankly out of my depth here. Is this even a driver issue? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:47 AM

Hi and :welcome: to Bleeping computer,Judge_Dredd

MiniToolbox by Farbar

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

From HP support:

MediaTek (Ralink) 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN Adapter Driver

Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver

Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver

Keep us posted...

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 24 July 2015 - 07:52 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 Judge_Dredd

Judge_Dredd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:58 AM

I will give this a go on Monday. Thanks so much for your help! Just a quick note, ive just noticed that I've also been encountering some issues when playing video and sound (games or movies) in which there will be some glitching or slowing down of play, I'll get a (bdddiittt) sound and everything will slow down for a quarter of a second before commencing. Do you suppose this is connected? Is it certain to be a driver issue? Are these questions best left unanswered until I run the utility tool?

Thanks again,

J

#4 Judge_Dredd

Judge_Dredd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:04 AM

Oh and also unexpected shutdowns and slow shutdown times...yeesh!

#5 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

Then, I'ld recommend to use 'Select All' in minitoolbox options screen (the first screen itself) and post that scan log instead of #2 .

It seems driver issue or hardware.

Have you visited HP support: to download the necessary installables for your machine?

Take your time to do so, but update about it here.... :)

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#6 Judge_Dredd

Judge_Dredd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:14 AM

LOL, looks like you nailed it with the "hardware" comment. Upon closer inspection it appears a good deal many of these symptoms may be the result of computing on my bed and overheating...that said, I'm still getting those "!" marks on those two devices I mentioned earlier. But it may be that even despite that, I may still yet be able to have continual uninterrupted internet access. The plan now is to update (all of) the drivers via HP's website on Monday once I have a solid connection, and see what happens from their. After that I'll touch back with you, and let you know how things go. If necessary I'll try out the tool you suggested. Sorry to waste your knowledgeable time with such a boneheaded trifle. I appreciate your expertise. 

#7 Judge_Dredd

Judge_Dredd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

Oh boy, maybe not. I was just playing a game and got an unexpected shutdown. Will continue to inform you as this progresses. Thanks again for your continued assistance.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:35 AM

Upon closer inspection it appears a good deal many of these symptoms may be the result of computing on my bed and overheating...

You should address this with how you place the laptop with the vents being partially or totally blocked most specially when your laptop acquires more heat when playing certain games.

Tekken

#9 Judge_Dredd

Judge_Dredd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:55 AM

A really good point, thing is, I've moved the computer and I've had the issue reoccur. I'll update the drivers and download the tool on Monday and let you all know what I find. Thanks!

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:00 AM

I've moved the computer and I've had the issue reoccur.

Just trying to read along the lines meaning, laptops once experienced repeated thermal events cannot be servicable mostly (except for the memory or HDD) if the board or video chip is affected.

Oh and also unexpected shutdowns and slow shutdown times

This is not a software issue AFAIK... but hopefully I am wrong.

Tekken

#11 Judge_Dredd

Judge_Dredd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:14 AM

I don't like the sounds of that...is there anyway I can check?

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:22 AM

Go ahead with installing the correct HP drivers . I would suggest of staying away from any games that seems to affect the artifacts and video and use it temporarily for basic programs and browsing just to check if it also exhibits the same behavior.

Tekken

#13 Judge_Dredd

Judge_Dredd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:29 AM

So I downloaded all the drivers with no issues to report so far, but when I tried to download the program you guys suggested my AVG gave me a security warning. Now I'm not trying to seem unappreciative, or like too much of a noob. And you guys seem trustworthy and knowledgeable enough but could someone offer an explanation as to why I'd be getting a red flag, and additionally what risks I might be inviting by downloading this tool?

#14 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:18 AM

All tools hosted here at Bleeping Computer.com are clean and safe to use.
Security software may flag certain tools as suspicious or threat, which is due to the way these tools work and due to rapid updating.
You can always cross check your results with a thirdparty scanning service like www.virustotal.com

#15 Judge_Dredd

Judge_Dredd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

Okay from the looks of things this really does appear to be a hardware issue as I've continued to experience overheating (though I shutdown before it did so on it's own). Ill still run the tool tomorrow to run whatever system checks it does. Out of curiosity does this or any other tool do hardware checks so I can see where this continued fault is originating? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users