Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendations to upgrade/replace gaming computer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 victor7

victor7

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:22 PM

I bought the parts originally in 2007.  Still have original CPU/MoBO/PS/Case.  Replaced HD and Graphics Card about 3 years ago.  Some current problems with crashing with heavy gaming usage.   And it's slow and often stops when gaming. I like Syberia, The Forest, Crysis, Spore, Halo, etc.  I use Google, Youtube-ing, Netflix, Skype and just noodling around the internet.

Speccy: 
Operating System--Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU--Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 @ 3.00GHz                 45 °C
                    Kentsfield 65nm Technology
RAM--6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (6-4-4-12)
Motherboard--ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5Q-E (LGA 775)                    35 °C
Graphics--Acer AL2216W (1600x900@60Hz)
                    --TOSHIBA-TV (1600x900@60Hz)
                    --1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (NVIDIA)                50 °C
Storage--931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-07ZF5A0 ATA Device (SATA) 28 °C
Optical Drives--Optiarc DVD RW AD-7190S ATA Device
Audio--Audio Advantage SRM

I think the cpu and mobo need replacement as they are both about 7 years old with heavy usage.  want to outfit it as an all-around computer plus gamer for games like the above.  But I don't need the best graphics card; the NVidia GTX 560Ti does a good job for my needs.

However, I have about $750 to invest.  I would prefer a ready built rather than a complete rebuild due to my current physical limitations.  Can use or replace everything, including the fans (5 installed) on my current system.

I saw a good looking system in Tiger Direct, but on inspection found that the Graphics Card was a cheapo...  So I need other help.

Just saw this on Tiger Direct. Thoughts?Alienware X51 Gaming PC - Intel Core i5-4460, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, 802.11 b/g/n, USB, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960, Black - AX51R2-4292BK $850

Edited by victor7, 23 July 2015 - 08:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:33 AM

The reason it stops when gaming is mainly the CPU for you. Everything else is actually pretty decent for it.

If you're insistent on modifying a pre-built. The 560ti (1GB, 1263.4 GLFOPs) you have is somewhere between a 750 (1GB, 1044 GFLOPs)  and 750ti (2GB, 1306 GFLOPs) . Which, is to be honest, the best I've seen out of any prebuilt system sub 750$. That Alien ware, for instance,had to be 850$ before it got a better GPU (the 700$ one only have a GTX 745 (1GB, 745 GFLOP)). Best option would be to get something like this that has a Intel i5 quad core, 8GB of RAM, and copy of windows already loaded on to it for 500$-600$-ish. Then swap in the PSU you have, your GPU, and your HDD as a 2nd drive to outfit the thing. If you feel like splurging, you could go for the i7 variant for 700$, but to be honest you should just save up extra 150$-ish dollars for a better GPU a year or two later. The CPU and RAM in that thing should keep it relevant for awhile (my guess 5 years), while only needing a GPU in a year or two to stay relevant. 

Building out a custom PC for 750$ would be more cost effective, but that's as good as you're going to get out of prebuilts. A whole bunch of desktops with strong CPUs (if that) but supper, supper, weak GPUs that will keep it from playing any recent games and rebranded as "gaming" desktop at a 50%, or even 100% markup (rare to 100%, but I've seen alienware do it a lot). 

Edited by SEANIA, 24 July 2015 - 02:34 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:26 AM

I bought the parts originally in 2007.  Still have original CPU/MoBO/PS/Case.  Replaced HD and Graphics Card about 3 years ago.  Some current problems with crashing with heavy gaming usage.   And it's slow and often stops when gaming. I like Syberia, The Forest, Crysis, Spore, Halo, etc.  I use Google, Youtube-ing, Netflix, Skype and just noodling around the internet.

** Rest of post deleted for brevity **

However, I have about $750 to invest.  I would prefer a ready built rather than a complete rebuild due to my current physical limitations.  Can use or replace everything, including the fans (5 installed) on my current system.

I saw a good looking system in Tiger Direct, but on inspection found that the Graphics Card was a cheapo...  So I need other help.

Just saw this on Tiger Direct. Thoughts?Alienware X51 Gaming PC - Intel Core i5-4460, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, 802.11 b/g/n, USB, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960, Black - AX51R2-4292BK $850

Victor,

I agree with Seania's post. 

The biggest issue with pre-builts is that sometime the manufacturer will use their own proprietary components into their machines and thus limiting the upgrade options.

Often, you can swap out memory modules and depending on the motherboard setup, you can swap out the graphics card.

There's a lot of piecemeal upgrades that over a short time can easily add up to $750 or more.

You're better off getting a custom built computer like this one that I am recommending for $750.

Doing it this way, you are getting a far better computer than you would get from buying in a store. That means more value for your money.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($120.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ NZXT) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($56.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $752.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-24 07:25 EDT-0400

Edited by Buzzsaw, 24 July 2015 - 06:27 AM.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:18 AM

Since you are looking for a already built machine I suggest any of the intel built systems from magicmicro.com they have very good prices for their systems and I bought one for my parents some years ago that is still going strong they have a variety of good options to add and are reasonably priced.  I bought my parents one of their cube built pc's and I have had no issues with the system aside from my parents downloading malware once in awhile.. lol good luck with your new system !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users