Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my PC on wifi keeps dropping the signal and kicking off everyone else on it

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RabidLime

RabidLime

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:56 PM

long and descriptive (maybe overly so). many thanks in advance for reading. and if there’s a better board, my apologies.

so, i’ve dealt with this for years. i’ve never understood it, gotten a million different answers, but it’s got the same symptoms regardless of the wireless card i’m using or what ISP i'm on. i built my machine 5 years ago, and will hopefully be putting him out to pasture in a few months. but! i would very much like to solve this, just so i have another tool in my belt and if it ever comes up again.

background: live in a duplex. downstairs neighbors got faster + cheaper nets. we joined forces, my router became redundant and i had to go from a wired connection (which has always worked just dandy) to a wireless connection. then it all hit the fan.

specs (some may be irrelevant, but whatever)

• mom board: ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
  • processor: AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb Quad-Core 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W HDX925WFGIBOX Processor
  • bios: American Megatrends Inc. 2007 4/14/2010
  • network card: AC1750 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter - Archer T8E
  • ram: 8GB
  • (neighbor gone atm, but can get router model from him later, however this problem has acted the same regardless of the router)
  • ISP: comcast… ugh.
  • browser: chrome (99% of the time)

symptoms:

whenever my tower is tries to connect, windows fails to do so. that little troubleshoot window comes up and i click “troubleshoot.” it does it’s thing and then says “blah blah the Diagnostic Policy Service isn’t running.” following other tech support, i’ve checked in services.msc and made sure diagnostic policy, diagnostic service, and diagnostic system host are all set to automatic. they are

then, again following other tech support i've recieved, i ran the system file checker by running cmd (as admin) and… there’s a lot. like, waaay too much and too sophisticated stuff for me. the problem may lie in here, but i’m skeptical; i run a reskin of windows (windows visual styles 7), however the system edits from that simply allow user themes to be installed… that’s it. it touches nothing else. and when system file checker says it wants to fix stuff, it just gets rid of the reskin. the only searches in the file checker log of “cannot repair” are .json files… last i heard, Java wasn't touching network stuff.

this problem persists no matter what. in previous cases i’ve tried updating the router’s firmware, which i could try here once my neighbor gets home… however it’s never worked before. on 3 other routers. i don't think that's a coincidence.

miraculously, sometimes it works. however…

1. my computer runs drastically slower. like, crawling. and will eventually drop the signal, leading to me following the above steps and eventually winding up where i started.

2. it screws up the signal. not just my signal, but the signal for everyone on it. i don't know technical terms for it, but the signal will allow people to connect however not have internet access, OR it will cause the signal to fuzz out and "reboot" entirely (and by reboot, i mean the signal goes away, again for everyone, and then comes back again). this persists in an endless loop until i disconnect the tower from the signal

restarts won’t work. the only absolutely certain thing is: the network works flawlessly when my tower is not on it. changing cards, ISP, and firmware updates fail to help.

that’s all i can think of. if there’s anything i missed, lemme know and i can give you as detailed a description as possible. and any help whatsoever is appreciated. having 6 people in a big house ticked at me isn't exactly fun.

thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2015 - 03:04 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:38 AM

So if I understand you correctly. You're trying to connect to your neighbors wifi router with your AC1750 internal wifi card? That Probably don't work to well. The router needs to be closer to your area of floor plan as your neighbors. The routers antenna (if it has em) one needs to be turned horizontal. Your nic's antenna's need to be set horizontal as well. Bottom straight out, middle left, top right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users