Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How. Do. You. Force. Windows. To. Create. A. Dump. File. on. System. Freeze.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rixanne

Rixanne

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:36 PM

I've read that you can by editing registry keys, but it was some site like 3 years ago.  Computer is freezing/locking up and unresponsive.  I need to force a dump when this happens.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:33 AM

Hi Rixanne :)

To force Windows to create a dump file on BSODs, follow the instructions below.

Click on the Start Menu, then right-click on Computer and select Properties. From there, click on Advanced System Settings in the left pane. Click on the third Settings... button, under the Startup and Recovery category. From there, select Small memory dump (256k) in the second drop down list (under Write debugging information) and make sure that the directory is set to %SystemRoot%\Minidump. From there, a minidump file should be created each time you have a BSOD.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users