Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension C521 hangs at yellow LED when attempting to boot.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LanceA

LanceA

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:34 PM

Hello,

My desktop cannot boot and the power button displays only a solid yellow light. I tried unplugging everything except the power cable, then booting, but without any change. Then I disconnected all memory in the system at the suggestion of another computer help site before booting and still the same situation. I did not hear any beep codes nor did I see any diagnostic LEDs light up. I'm tempted to try and strip the motherboard clean of everything; wireless cards, video cards, etc. and try and see if I can get some beep codes then, but I'm not very confident in my ability to do this without messing something up.

What could the issue be? Has anyone had this happen before? What would be the best way to diagnose this problem?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:23 PM

If you are not comfortable with diving into your pc you may want to then take it to a technician.

Taken from Here:

What Dell Power Button Lights Mean

A solid green light means the computer is operating normally.

A solid yellow light indicates the power supply is operating normally but the computer is not processing data. This could mean there is a problem with the CPu or another component on the motherboard

So it could be the CPU or another internal component has failed.

#3 LanceA

LanceA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:08 PM

Does that mean it's an integrated component on the motherboard, or something I can replace? What I mean to ask is, would it be worth my while to strip it of the video card, RAM, and all that to test? I'm secure enough to give it a go, but I didn't want to take the risk if there didn't seem to be any benefit in it, so I thought I'd ask

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:12 PM

Read HERE for beep codes and what you should expect from your Dell Studio 1558

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#5 LanceA

LanceA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:31 PM

Read HERE for beep codes and what you should expect from your Dell Studio 1558

Well, I certainly appreciate the effort, but my issue is with a Dell Dimension C521 desktop, not a Studio 1558. Besides, I've not been able to get any beep codes whatsoever.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:26 PM

oops !

read HERE  !!

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#7 LanceA

LanceA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:54 PM

oops !

read HERE  !!

I can't get my computer to boot nor beep; is there any other method of diagnostics?

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:03 AM

According to the information I can find on the C521 this is a fairly old computer, it may just have come to the end of its natural life, however . . .

You can safely remove all the cards plugged in to the mobo. The only one that may require a little additional care is the video card if it has a separate power lead. These usually have a plastic spring clip type 'lock' to keep the connection secure and it can be a fiddle releasing it. There should be enough free space in the power cable - if there is one - to allow you to unplug the card and then remove the power connector.

I would also disconnect any external connections, audio, ethernet and so on. If you then get 'beep' codes you will have some idea of what the problem is. If the computer seems to try to boot, start plugging components back in one at a time - when it stops booting you have identified the fault area. If it happens that nothing happens when you have everything disconnected, then it is almost certainly the mobo and it is definitely time for a new computer. However your data should be OK. You will always be able to remove the hard drive and connect it to another computer, using a 'caddy' if necessary, to copy the data off it.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 LanceA

LanceA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:54 AM

According to the information I can find on the C521 this is a fairly old computer, it may just have come to the end of its natural life, however . . .

You can safely remove all the cards plugged in to the mobo. The only one that may require a little additional care is the video card if it has a separate power lead. These usually have a plastic spring clip type 'lock' to keep the connection secure and it can be a fiddle releasing it. There should be enough free space in the power cable - if there is one - to allow you to unplug the card and then remove the power connector.

I would also disconnect any external connections, audio, ethernet and so on. If you then get 'beep' codes you will have some idea of what the problem is. If the computer seems to try to boot, start plugging components back in one at a time - when it stops booting you have identified the fault area. If it happens that nothing happens when you have everything disconnected, then it is almost certainly the mobo and it is definitely time for a new computer. However your data should be OK. You will always be able to remove the hard drive and connect it to another computer, using a 'caddy' if necessary, to copy the data off it.

Chris Cosgrove

I've pulled everything from the motherboard and it still doesn't give any beeps. From what I've read, this means the problem lies in the power, motherboard, or CPU, right? I remember it giving me a "System voltage is low, hit F1 to continue" message on boot up for a while now, so I guess it's likely the power. It also gave me a "Drive seek failure 0!" message, but I think that was because of some mucking around in the BIOS settings I did a long time ago when something else was going wrong. 

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:22 PM

Power supplies are reasonably cheap and easy to fit except for the fact that a lot of Dells use non-standard PSUs. The dimensions are fairly standard but the plug socket and on/off switch are often moved so you may have to try and lay your hands on a Dell PSU. Worth a shot.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users