Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fonts, can they just be copied between machines?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:33 PM

I have two computers, as listed below:

Machine 1, windows 8.0, toshiba hardware, ms office package IS installed, 3d program in question IS installed.

Machine 2, windows 8.1, HP hardware, ms office package NOT installed, 3d program in question IS installed.

And yesterday I found myself in the following situation:

A 3d modelling program I use can load fonts with which to create text objects, I'm not sure precisely where the program looks to see the list of fonts available on the computer it is running on, but it finds a list of fonts, which a user can then choose from and insert text in a particular font into the model.

I noticed that machine 1 has some fonts which machine 2 does not have (things like "Bauhaus 93" , "Berlin Sans FB" , "Agency FB" , "Magneto Bold" , "Playbill Regular" , "Stencil regular" amongst others ), machine 2 has some fonts which machine 1 lacks ( "AR Delaney" amongst others ) and that some fonts are common to both machines ( "Verdana" , "Segoe Script" , "Comic Sans MS", "Arial" , "webdings" , "wingdings" )(Note: I HATE comic sans, I mention it as an example, not because I would ever think of actually using it for anything).

I also notice that the fonts are stored in a folder C:\Windows\Fonts .

And that in this folder some of them have icons which are faded grey (why?).

This folder does not display like other folders, it appears differently when you open it from windows file explorer.

The fonts within it are displayed as little thumbnails, each is categorized as: "display" or "text", as "installable" or "editable", has a "designer/foundry" listed and says what language it is "designed for".

The font files appear to be copyable (I was able to copy the a file for one of them on machine 1 into the "my documents" folder, and once in the my documents folder I was able to look at the file's properties and find it was a .TTF .

Is it possible to put a font from machine 1 onto machine 2 just by copying a font file for a particular font from it's C:\Windows\Fonts to a USB, then unplugging this USb from machine 1, plugging it into machine 2 and copying the file into machine 2's C:\Windows\Fonts ?

Or does doing this cause problems?

Would the font files from one machine be incompatible on another due to the screen size/type?

Are the fonts that are lacking from machine 2 somehow bundled into ms office and only able to work on machines which have ms office installed?

Does windows "dislike" this being done, does it start to crash or think the computer is being hacked if a new font file is suddenly copied into it's C:\Windows\Fonts folder?

Are the fonts a computer has controlled simply by what is contained within C:\Windows\Fonts, or would other files also need to be copied across for machine 2 to get Agency FB on it, or machine 1 to get AR delaney on it.

Are these font files set up so they cannot be copied across like this?

Note that doing this is primarily so that the 3d modelling program can access these extra fonts, I'm not bothered about whether ms word/powerpoint... (only machine 1 has those anyway) can access these extra fonts.

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 23 July 2015 - 04:33 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

By coincidence I just did this yesterday !

Copy ALL the font files from computer 1 to a memory stick or whatever - mine were on a six or seven year old backup DVD - then plug the memory stick into computer 2. Open the memory stick in Windows Explorer, select ALL the files and 'drag and drop' them into your Windows 'Fonts' folder. You will get a window pop-up saying 'Font XYZ already exists - do you wish to replace it?'. Choose 'No' and 'Do this for all similar' and 'Continue'. Let it finish and all the fonts you want should be there.

Whether you want it or not they will be available to all applications on computer 2 !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:46 PM

Can this be done with just a few particular font files? I don't have any need to copy the whole lot over, just a few specific ones which I make a lot of use out of. I am able to recognise from the thumbnails and names which files in that folder are for the fonts I am interested in.

Also is this something which would be very likely to transfer viruses between computers (not that either computer should have any) or is it no riskier than copying across any other (jpeg, png, word document, avi video, zip archive... ) files?

By that statement "Whether you want it or not they will be available to all applications on computer 2" you are confirming that what fonts ANY program (including ms office programs) on the computer can use are determined by what is in the fonts folder?

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 26 July 2015 - 12:47 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:06 PM

Point (1) - yes. If you only want Fonts A, G, M and X just copy them to a memory stick then copy them to the fonts folder in Windows on Computer 2. I copied and pasted the lot because I didn't know exactly which font a very old application was lacking but I must have got it right because it now works !  I don't think the risk of copying over an infected file is any higher than your mention of other file types but just to be safe you could always run a scan on your Fonts folder before you use them. If computer 1 is clean there shouldn't be a problem any way.

Point (2) - yes. If it's in the fonts folder then it is available to all applications. I probably have a bigger font collection than many because I do quite a lot of graphics work and you never know when some strange and exotic font is exactly right for one particular purpose but you control which fonts you use in which application. I have just given my wife an anniversary card using a font on the front which is gorgeous at any size over about 30 points - I used 96 - but I wouldn't dream of using it in a Word document at between 10 and 14, it would be unreadable !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users