Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asking For Punishment Or Watching Too Many Reruns Of Overhaulin'

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nayei

nayei

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:10 PM

Now I have been told it is just less work to buy a new computer, and this is true unless you like taking them apart and rebuilding them so they are ready to run XP or Vista.

Question #1: Where can I get a full functioning copy of XP?

Thanks,

Nayei.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:32 PM

Ummm, you buy a copy from a PC store or software supplier.
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:13 PM

Windows XP Home with SP2
Sale Price: $159.40

CLICK HERE
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:29 PM

eBay, but I personally like W2k Pro.

FYI: If you buy an OEM version instead of a full retail version it will be slaved to the PC. Microsoft will not allow you to move an OEM copy from one computer to another. From what I understand they record the type of motherboard you are using when you activate your XP. If it changes they asume you have attempted to move it to another computer, which is not allow with OEM versions of Windows.

Edited by acklan, 11 July 2006 - 11:34 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:42 PM

Now I have been told it is just less work to buy a new computer, and this is true unless you like taking them apart and rebuilding them so they are ready to run XP or Vista.

In my experience, if you want to move up to XP, you need a new computer. XP does not particularly like old hardware. It likes to reside on a larger hard drive. It needs more memory (RAM). Things like a Soundblaster Live! card's drivers will mess up XP. Since XP was released, computers have become faster, more stable, and more capable. Although XP will run on some older hardware, it certainly won't run well. And let's face it, if your hard drive is more than three years old, it's getting closer to crashing permanently anyway.

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:05 PM

How old is your computer? I built my Mom a computer about 5 years ago and she just upgraded from windows 98 to windows xp home and it runs better than it ever did ! So, I guess it depends on what hardware you have on your system. I have seen several even older computers with windows xp and they ran pretty good. I have found windows xp online for as low as $80, if you take the time to search, this was the full edition of Windows XP Pro. My Mom found Windows xp home upgrade at Staples for $90 with a $40 rebate, but this was about 4 months ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users