Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"clone" back to 8.1 after Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 provobis

provobis

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:39 PM

Hello all, I started this new topic because I'll bet most do not back up the exact way I do, so I couldn't find anything on the web that will address my question. Tell me if I'm wrong.

I "back up" all my HDD's using an extrenal caddy. So if I do that regularly I have a relatively recent clone (exact copy) of my entire computer no matter what's in it or how its configured. Like so many others I loved XP and am mad because M$soft discontinued XP support (Thanks for nothing Gates). Nevertheless to be on the safe side, even though I kept (and still use) my XP on one of my 4 computers, I bought a Windows 8.1 computer and made almost everything work and look like XP. Now of course, along comes M$soft again and wants everyone to get Windows 10 one way or another. So naturally I have the (get Win 10) icon on 8.1 computer but I really don't know if I should upgrade when 10 becomes available in a few days. But if I do upgrade to 10, and if I don't like it (because I really don't know what else M$oft will change or leave out), or even if I do like it after all, WOULD I BE ABLE TO REMOVE THE WIN 10 UPGRADE HDD AND REPLACE IT WITH MY 8.1 CLONE which I will have saved? In other words will anything in the computer bios change so as to make booting up that 8.1 clone impossible?

Again, all I want to know is can I plug my 8.1 HDD clone instead of using the Win 10 upgrade in the same computer. Will that work? Anyone know? :lmao:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:47 PM

Hi provobis :)

Like so many others I loved XP and am mad because M$soft discontinued XP support (Thanks for nothing Gates).

I want to say that Windows XP was supported for 14 years, which is long enough, and Microsoft even pushed back the end of support by years because of it's popularity. They aren't to blame to cut the support for it. Technology evolves, and so will OS. You need to adapt since you cannot always live in the past :)

Again, all I want to know is can I plug my 8.1 HDD clone instead of using the Win 10 upgrade in the same computer. Will that work? Anyone know? :lmao:

Assuming you cloned your Windows 8.1 perfectly with the drivers of that computer in the image, then yes, you'll be able to swap HDD and boot from the Windows 8.1 without any issues (assuming the HDD controller drivers are also in the Windows 8.1 image you cloned on it).

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, it should work.  I'm presuming you disabled UEFI.  I got a Plugable too, and your strategy is sound.  I did a dual-boot, so I can just stop using 10 if I wanted, but yeah clone only the 8.1, then insert the clone and then you can partition it for 8.1/10, and use the clone thereafter, keeping the original 8.1 safe.  Then you can clone the clone. :)

Ebay has lots for internal drives at good prices.  Great for caddy users. :_)

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 provobis

provobis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:23 PM

Yeah, it should work.  I'm presuming you disabled UEFI.  I got a Plugable too, and your strategy is sound.  I did a dual-boot, so I can just stop using 10 if I wanted, but yeah clone only the 8.1, then insert the clone and then you can partition it for 8.1/10, and use the clone thereafter, keeping the original 8.1 safe.  Then you can clone the clone. :)

Ebay has lots for internal drives at good prices.  Great for caddy users. :_)

Hello and thanks brainout, but you're talking above my head now (disable UEFI?)....don't know about that or why I should. Though I never heard about UEFI so far I assume your recommendation is made for dual boot reasons, especially because of Windows 10? Because I have done dual boot with other systems on other computers (example Linux v Windows, Win 7 v XP) and never heard the term for those. Would you care to enlighten me? Even if I don't choose to dual boot? I know the issue has to do with the computer bios, but don't know details,  technicalities, risks, or necessities.

And besides, why would I want to dual boot if I could revert to 8.1 after (and if) I install Win 10, as I understand will be an option I saw in Windows 10 questions and answers. Or even if I just pulled the Win 10 and plugged in the old 8.1 clone. I guess you can see I'm a slow learner. :hello:

Edited by provobis, 24 July 2015 - 04:28 PM.

#5 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:11 PM

UEFI is the new BIOS standard...it's replacing the legacy BIOS which is outdated. Depending on the system whether it's an OEM or custom build, some systems require that the UEFI is disabled to perform certain tasks/actions. 

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:34 PM

provobis, click here.  Great nickname.  Yell at me if the instructions aren't clear.  Sorry I wasn't here earlier, fell asleep and computer wonked out (just had a Windows update, and it's been bonky since).

As to why you'd want to dual boot, what I just wrote is one of many reasons why: your computer borks out due to Windows update, but if you have two OSes on it instead of one, the other one is likely still working.  Win10's updates are MANDATORY but 8.1's are not.

Also, there might be some features in 8.1 that 10 took away, so you still have the best of both worlds.  It doesn't have to be, either/or.  What if you like BOTH versions?  If you merely replace 10 atop 8.1, then you reduced your options.

And, you cannot revert to 8.1 as easily as before.  They moved the goal posts with Win10.  I don't remember in which thread I posted the problems, but there are articles in tenforums about some time limit for revert.  That's why cloning is a great idea, for it's your only dependable way to revert.

And you're NOT a slow learner.  You amaze me.  My brain is OUT on these things, and if the same problems and issues didn't recur over and over, I'd not be able to talk about them.

Am I making sense?  Need some coffee, so yell at me if I'm unclear.  Am (sorta) awake now, and my Win10 machine is on, too (I'm typing from Win7).

Edited by brainout, 24 July 2015 - 11:41 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users