Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Pavillion 6630 Won't Boot Corrupt Of Missing Windows\system32\config\system Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 misty45405

misty45405

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:59 PM

will not boot in safe mode or when I get to recovery console there is no choice to say which windows to log on to nothing shows. when i try a new install, it freezes at the Eula agreement. Had to use a xp home disk to get to recovery console but upgrade disk will do nothing. have read so many instructions and can get to each to a point, what do I do now?? I feel soooo stupid that I can not figure out what to do next. :thumbsup: Your site is so easy to read and follow, but I can't get this other computer to act right. I am on the laptop which you helped to tweak and fix. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:25 PM

Your registry has become corrupt

You need to replace your system hives
These are the SAM SECURITY DEFAULT SYSTEM CONFIG
If these become edited or corrupt you cannot boot.

For the whole proceedure please post back and I will explain in detail

KB307545
JU$T1N~1

#3 misty45405

misty45405
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:41 PM

I am ready to do whatever you say and thank you in advance :thumbsup:

#4 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:11 PM

The process I am about to refer to can be refernced anytime from microsoft.com known as Knowledge Base Article KB307545:

Here it is:

Type this in Command Prompt (recovery console) by booting from your Windows XP CD

cd system32\config
ren system system.old
ren software software.old
ren SAM SAM.old
ren security security.old
ren default default.old
cd \
cd windows\repair
copy system C:\windows\system32\config\system
copy software C:\windows\system32\config\software
copy sam C:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy security C:\windows\system32\config\security
copy default C:\windows\system32\config\default

-then reboot your computer and see what happens

NOTE: You may only have to replace the SYSTEM, but odds are you will have to do all mentioned above
JU$T1N~1

#5 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:13 PM

PS: What this is doing is replacing your current system hives with the original ones that were backed up after your installation.

-you may need to do a system restore when complete to finalize this process. Allthough the above may just fix you up just fine

Cheers from Canada
JU$T1N~1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users