Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows system32 config system corrupt xp

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 757Pirate

757Pirate

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

Is receiving this message when starting without warning this morning.  I had made no changes on computer from the night before.  Is this a virus? and how can I repair?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:30 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:56 AM

Thank you for responding..  I am requesting this help from a secondary computer.  The affected computer first asks me to supply HDD password and then immediately gives the "windows system32\config\system"  message and alerts me to install disc and repair.  I can't get beyond that point.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a Windows install disk?

For info on what the quoted error typically involves...see Windows XP, Corrupt Registry .

Louis

#5 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:00 PM

Dell Inspirion 6000  I do not have original install disk but do have the product key no.  I think it was preinstalled.  Its been sometime since we purchased this computer.  

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:25 PM

You can use a linux disk like Parted Magic or this rescue disk from Winhelp which would be more familiar to you. Burn the iso file and boot the disk. You can burn the iso file in Windows 7 by right clicking the file and selecting Burn disk Image.

Here is a guide on using a boot disk to restore the registry hives. I would not delete any files. Only rename your registry hives with a .bak extension.

I wrote a guide here using Parted Magic but the same holds true for the Winhelp disk. You can ignore the disk check as this is only available on the Parted Magic disk.

This will only work if you enabled System Restore and you have a recent restore point.

#7 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:03 PM

I give up... I have downloaded the winhelp disk to USB and inserted into the affected computer.  However...it opens and gives me 3 choices.. but computer doesn't like any of them.. always reverts back to same PW for HHD authentication and then starts to load and then fails with the same config\system missing or corrupt message.   How am I supposed to get to the file manager??  I can get to the safe mode and options.. but they still loop back around to same problem.  I am unclear as to how to reach file manager under these conditions... or I have done something wrong in the starting process.  BTW... I am using a different computer running windows 7.. but its the older computer with Windows XP we are trying to repair/restore

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

FWIW:  Offline Registry Restore Using Linux, AA .

Louis

#9 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:50 AM

I have down loaded Puppy and ImgBurn.. but I do not have a writeable disc CD..how can I save to USB instead?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:55 AM

You can use Rufus with the Puppy iso to create a bootable USB flashdrive. Parted Magic can do the same thing plus it has additional tools to diagnose your hard drives.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Use MBR for a partition scheme.  Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image and press the folder icon. Browse to your Puppy iso and press Start.

#11 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:44 AM

I am completely and totally lost after 48 hrs of working on this.  I finally gave up on using PuppyLinux, altho I did get as far as locating the 5 files  and moving them.  However, since I couldn't figure out how to access the C:\windows\system  registry files, I aborted the puppylinux and thought perhaps using parted magic would be an easier path.  Unfortunately, I am TOTALLY lost now.  Please help!!!!  I am relatively adept at fixing problems on computer.. but this is apparently over my head.  I really NEED to get this laptop back up for use on Monday as it has files on it needed for work.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:54 AM

You found the 5 registry hives in the system snapshot subfolder of \System Volume Information and copied them to Windows\system32\config, correct?  Boot Parted Magic and browse to Windows\system32\config.

right click each of the following registry Hives and rename them

default   to   default.bak
security  to   security.bak
software  to software. bak
system  to  system.bak
sam  to   sam.bak

Now rename the 5 files you found in the snapshot subfolder of \System Volume Information and copied to Windows\system32\config

_registry_user_default  to  default
_registry_machine_security   to  security
_registry_machine_software  to  software
_registry_machine_system   to   system
_registry_machine_sam  to  sam

Exit out of PartedMagic and reboot.

#13 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

I hate to sound like an idiot... but I don't know how to browse to the windows system folder using this program.  And 2.. I know I moved the registry files.. but I am not sure I did it correctly or to the right area.  Thank you for your help and patience.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:21 AM

I hoped you copied them and did not move them because if they are not in the correct location you will have to go to another snapshot folder.

If you have another computer and another USB flash drive, you can copy the files you need for work and try getting your XP computer to boot later. Is this something you want to do?

See this guide. Hard drives are labled differently in linux. Yours would be sda1 if you only have one hard drive partition. Boot Parted Magic, double click the File Manager and in the left pane tell me how many sda's are listed. Your USB flash drive should be labled sdb. Do you have an extra USB flash drive available?

#15 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:33 AM

Answers - 

1.  I am pretty sure I copied since I am a complete novice in these programs and followed instructions to the point of "moving"

2. I am working off a secondary computer to communicate and yes, I do have another flash drive.  However, I need this computer for work also.

3. The file manager indicates there are 2 sdas  labeled sda1 and sda3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users