Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"What Does “Defer Upgrades” in Windows 10 Mean?", via HowToGeek

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:50 AM

Your Windows 10 system may have a Defer upgrades option for Windows Update. This option delays feature upgrades for several months while allowing security updates through.

Enabling this option puts your Windows 10 PC on the Current branch for business. Its intended for business users who want to wait a bit longer before getting new features on their PCs.

What Does Defer Upgrades in Windows 10 Mean?

Important points:

The Professional, Enterprise, and Education editions of Windows 10 all have the Defer upgrades option. Windows 10 Home the standard version of Windows 10 youll get on most new PCs does not have this option.

Note that the Professional edition of Windows 10 doesnt actually use this option by default youll still have to enable it yourself.

Feature upgrades can only be delayed several months. Its unclear exactly how many months these upgrades will be deferred for. But it is clear that you cant defer these upgrades indefinitely.

You can defer updates to ensure theyll receive more testing before they make it to your PCs. Enabling the Defer upgrades option puts your PC on the Current branch for business.

And a good explanation of the different branches.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 912 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:40 AM

Note that the Professional edition of Windows 10 doesnt actually use this option by default youll still have to enable it yourself

Will this option be available when Windows 10 notifies you the download is ready for installation ?

Could one also "HIDE" this update and after a length of time install this update through "Restore Hidden Updates" ??

Edit for grammar.

Edited by sikntired, 23 July 2015 - 08:42 AM.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:12 AM

Will this option be available when Windows 10 notifies you the download is ready for installation ?

Back on Windows 7, the "defer" option appeared after the updates were installed, and it asked you to restart your computer (you could defer that to up to 4 hours). On Windows 8/8.1, it didn't ask you to defer the restart, it would instead install the updates on the next reboot. On Windows 10, I imagine that they'll keep the same concept as under Windows 8/8.1. Which means that once the updates are installed, they won't install until the next reboot of the system.

Could one also "HIDE" this update and after a length of time install this update through "Restore Hidden Updates" ??

Since the old Windows Update interface seems to still be available, I think it's possible.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users