Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are manual Browser updates necessary for optimum web performance?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:10 AM

I just had a bit of an issue in the last 12 hours or so in that suddenly Chrome stopped working.

I suddenly got presented with a message when trying to access it.... (something like)...."You cannot access this function because it has been moved or deleted".

Anyway, fear not...this story has a happy ending.....

So, I immediately thought my browser had crashed and that I would have lost all my bookmarked pages and settings etc. I was not a happy bunny!

My next step was to use Explorer to reinstall Chrome. For some reason, I needed to perform this task twice as it wouldn't download the first time of trying. At this stage I was feeling somewhat flustered, to say the least! lol

After reinstalling the second time of trying, I was massively relieved to see that all my bookmarks, settings, and the 2 extensions that I use were completely intact. (These extensions are Bitdefender Qscan and Adblock).

Mightily relieved, I then shut down and went straight to bed as it was late.

Then, this morning, to my great delight, Chrome seems to be responding faster than ever! And I can see something has changed because the swirling blue circle (that indicates a new page is being loaded) looks different, leaving me in no doubt that a newer version of Chrome was installed on my machine after this little 'mis-hap'.

Sorry to go all around the houses with my description of what went on here. Obviously I am delighted at the outcome.

But my question is, as well as doing the obvious Windows and Samsung updates in order to keep my pc running well, do we need to manually update browsers every so often by doing manual re-installs? Because if there is such a thing as an AUTO-reinstall/update setting for Chrome, my machine certainly doesn't seem to be set up to do it.

Robby

(level - relative novice)

Edited by robby501, 23 July 2015 - 07:17 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

Chrome auto updates unless there is a new version that needs manual installation. Secunia PSI will notify me if I need to update Chrome manually. I understand Google has been plugging security holes the last couple of days. But I haven't noticed anything unusual on mine. One suggestion-AdBlock is closing. Switch to UBlock.

EDIT:You can always go into About Google Chrome and check for updates. I just did that and it updated to version 44.

Edited by frankp316, 23 July 2015 - 10:49 AM.

#3 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:43 AM

Chrome auto updates unless there is a new version that needs manual installation. Secunia PSI will notify me if I need to update Chrome manually. I understand Google has been plugging security holes the last couple of days. But I haven't noticed anything unusual on mine. One suggestion-AdBlock is closing. Switch to UBlock.

EDIT:You can always go into About Google Chrome and check for updates. I just did that and it updated to version 44.

Great, thanks for the info and what you said about Adblock. Good to know!

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users