Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can the end user understand the need for more security than "just" AV/FW?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:53 AM

Hi all!

The end user is well aware of the need for Anti-Virus/Firewall, which is a basic "must-have" security setup on every computer. But how can the end user understand the need for more security than "just" AV/FW? – like Anti-Malware, browser security add-ons which help prevent advertisements and block malicious websites and All in One additional security tools like HitmanPro.Alert?

Please discuss!

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 24 July 2015 - 05:28 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:03 AM

Hi midimusicman79,

Actually a lot of people use adblockers, because the ads are annoying if anything.

Knowledge about antimalware has been pretty widespread recently, if you see the success of Malwarebytes.

Security tools like HitmanPro.Alert are just an additional safeguard in case things go wrong. I don't use them because I don't need to.

And you forgot one of the most important aspects of safe computing practices - backup. :wink:

Regards,
Alex

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

Hi midimusicman79,

The ever-present car comparison works quite well here as well: You can think of the firewall/antivirus as the seatbelt or airbag of your PC, it will save you if you make a serious error in judgment or if someone runs into you. But that does not mean that you're 100% safe with them.

There's a hundred and one other things that may help increase your safety and indeed an anti-virus and firewall is a very basic protection. However if you're careful with your PC, only visit "safe pages" and update all your software regularly, you should be able to get around without getting infected.
It's easier to remain uninfected if you have some additional helpers. Think of it as a parking assistant of sorts. It is not necessary to have it to safely park, but it sure makes parking without bumping into someone a lot easier. In this way you can block scripts per default, you can block ads, etc.

Just one word to the "all in one" protection. No such thing exists. Hitman Pro is of course advertising it as such, but in reality you will not want to put all your eggs in one basket. Now I'm not saying the tool is bad, I'm just warning against removing all the other protection because you have a "all in one" tool.
Another word with regards to AntiVirus programs: A simple file-scanning anti-virus is very basic, but in reality this description of an anti virus is less and less fitting. Years ago, an anti virus truely was only an anti virus, detecting infections and removing files based on signatures. Nowadays most if not all Anti Virus programs have incorporated behavioural blocking and also exploit blocking. Their aim is to keep you safe, they will not let something pass simply because it's not in their job description.

Looking at the antivirus (well anti-malware) you've listed in your software list, we can see that it also blocks malicious websites, for example and it does behavioura detection as well as the "standard file scanning" which is the activity usually assigned to an anti-virus program.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:33 AM

Hi, Alexstrasza & myrti!

Thanks to both of you for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

@Alexstrasza: Yeah, of course I forgot backup; sorry, but thank you for the heads-up anyway! :)

Just one word to the "all in one" protection. No such thing exists. Hitman Pro is of course advertising it as such, but in reality you will not want to put all your eggs in one basket. Now I'm not saying the tool is bad, I'm just warning against removing all the other protection because you have a "all in one" tool.

@myrti: The reason why I added HMP.A to my security setup, was to get Anti-Ransomware protection as well as prevention against drive-by downloads. As such, it was neither my intention to remove any of the other protection, nor should I have used the improper wording All in One-tools, but rather another proper wording; multi-tools, sorry about the mistake! :blink:

There's a hundred and one other things that may help increase your safety...

@myrti: I have of course already read quietman7's topic; Answers to common security questions - Best Practices, which also Alexstrasza links to in her signature. However, feel free to please expand on your quote from above, as I am always eager to learn... :busy:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 25 July 2015 - 05:36 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:38 PM

The end user needs to constantly educate themselves which includes staying informed about the latest malware threats and those recommendations by security experts on how to protect themselves.

For example ...
Krebs on Security: Latest Warnings
Malwarebytes Unpacked (Official Security Blog)
Bleeping Computer Front Page News
SANS Internet Storm Center
A (Graphical) World of Botnets and Cyber Attacks

"Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone could have."
-- QM7
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:07 AM

Hi, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and informative reply! :)

Your links make for interesting reading. :thumbup2:

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 25 July 2015 - 06:08 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:48 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users