Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several Services Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JEberlin

JEberlin

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

Hello. I have a funny situation where the Spooler task (Spoolsv.exe) and a couple of others, will not start. Trying to manually start the services results in "(Task name) can not start in Safe Mode" however, the machine is not booted in Safe Mode. I regularly run Adaware, Spybot and Norton AV 2005 and there have been no malwares detected. This situation seems to have begun after the last MS updates (6/15 - applied 6/30), or at least it was detected 7/3. I tried applying MicroSoft KB312052 with no relief. What I'm most curious about is what is going on inside that machine such that the services think it's running in Safe Mode when it is not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:47 PM

Try using Windows System Restore to revert your system state to an earlier date.

start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

#3 JEberlin

JEberlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:47 PM

Tried that too. No help, exactly the same symptoms.

#4 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:18 PM

The service may have a dependency that may not be starting.
-this could confuse Windows into thinking that because it cannot start its dependecy that you are in safe mode... when your not.

Try this: Start / run / services.msc
-Find the Print Spooler and bring up the properties... then check the depencies tab for any services it relys on.

More help available on request
JU$T1N~1

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:59 PM

Go to add/remove programs in your control panel and see if you can uninstall the update.

If you can, do so and reboot.

If that cures the problem try downloading and installing the update again.

#6 JEberlin

JEberlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:41 AM

The only sevice that Spoolsv relies upon is RPC which is already running. For what it's worth dept: I removed Norton Antivirus 2005 due to a failed LiveUpdate session and I can not re-install it. I used the Symantec Removal Tool (SymNRT) and still can't install NAV. I don't know it the two events are related or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users