Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to customize Ubuntu Mate app menu to look like Unity/ Gnome3/Pantheon

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:52 AM

Hi I'm planning to get a Raspberry Pi v2 and I want Ubuntu Mate on it but the app menu isn't ideal for TVs something like the Unity/ Gnome3/Pantheon menus would be more suited more the larger displays found on most TVs and since I'm going to be over eight feet from my 29 inch display a app menu that takes up about a quarter of the screen with very large icons would be much more visible then the native/default app menus in Ubuntu Mate.

So is there a way to customize the stock app menus to look like the Unity/ Gnome3/Pantheon app menu?

Or is there a way to import the app menu for Unity/ Gnome3/Pantheon into Ubuntu Mate?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:12 AM

Just use Ubuntu Gnome instead. Though I don't know if it will run on the Raspberry Pi architecture or not.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:12 PM

Just use Ubuntu Gnome instead. Though I don't know if it will run on the Raspberry Pi architecture or not.

Thanks but that wont work with the R-Pi. Aren't there any third party app menus available for Ubuntu Mate that would at least be close to what I want?

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:24 AM

Not that I know of. Though if Ubuntu mate has an ARM architecture install you can just install it then install the gnome Desktop UI over that. Or in all theory you should be able to, if it works or not is entirely different.

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

Not that I know of. Though if Ubuntu mate has an ARM architecture install you can just install it then install the gnome Desktop UI over that. Or in all theory you should be able to, if it works or not is entirely different.

Good point I've have heard people doing this with Ubuntu Mate but never heard anyone doing it with the R-Pi version although I don't see why it wouldn't work Gnome3 is fairly lightweight enough where it shouldn't be a problem for the R-Pi v2. When I get a Raspberry Pi v2 I could always ask the RaspberryPi forum about this thanks. :)

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:20 PM

Pi V2 has some pretty good specs now. It probably wouldn't have a problem running it.
I have installed various desktop UI environments on Linux distros. Its pretty easy, you just do a apt-get install on it.

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:08 PM

Pi V2 has some pretty good specs now. It probably wouldn't have a problem running it.
I have installed various desktop UI environments on Linux distros. Its pretty easy, you just do a apt-get install on it.

That's exactly what love about Linux if your not happy with the desktop UI you can always swap it for another. :dance: :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users