Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photo Editing with Clone Tool & Photo Editing Software in General

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:22 PM

:clapping:

Oh hey, I used to use PhotoScape (free software) I think was the name of the program that had what turned out to be a very helpful tool on my Windows Laptop.   Now I have a new laptop that I was going to download the same program onto but word has it that it has some "extras" that come with it now that I want to avoid.   I guess they aren't major EXTRAS - still I'd rather avoid than worry about removal so I have been trying to find a program that has a clone tool other than Photoscape that has the same capability - does anyone have one to recommend?

It seems like I need to have a variety of programs because none of them do everything.

Picasa from Google doesn't have a way to resize photos at least not that I know of so I use PAINT to do that but I don't like Paint otherwise so I mostly just use it for that.   I like Picasa's photo editing overall though I don't think it has red-eye removal but the RESIZE thing is an issue with Picasa.   I guess nobody wants to do a program that has everything they'd rather we keep searching because that way they can occasionally slip in the unwanted extras that seem so popular with some sources. 

With my new laptop I have Adobe Photoshop Express and some other applications but nothing to write home about.   The Adobe program comes with something called Revel but I don't like it so far.

So anyway - my main purpose is to fine something with a "clone" tool and just thought I'd throw these other subtopics in with it.   Does anyone know of a way to resize with Picasa?

Thanks for reading and input if you have it. :orange:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:37 PM

I am not familiar with PhotoScape .

I use Paintdotnet and it is a free program with a clone stamp that can be used for a multitude of things.

available at  getpaint.net

Requires

• Windows 7 SP1 or newer (including Windows 8, 8.1, and 8.1 Update 1)
  • 1GHz processor (dual-core recommended)
  • 1GB of RAM

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:00 PM

I am not familiar with PhotoScape .

I use Paintdotnet and it is a free program with a clone stamp that can be used for a multitude of things.

available at  getpaint.net

Requires

• Windows 7 SP1 or newer (including Windows 8, 8.1, and 8.1 Update 1)
  • 1GHz processor (dual-core recommended)
  • 1GB of RAM

Hmmmm, I have used PAINT and never saw a clone tool - where/how can I access it?

#4 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

to access the clone tool in Paint dot Net

Always make sure you are running the latest version of pdn

Open paint dot net pull down the window drop down or F5 select tools

This will place the tool bar onto your working screen area.

From there select the clone stamp.

see pic below of the tool bar and clone stamp.

edit:

tools.png

Edited by Martel, 22 July 2015 - 09:30 PM.

#5 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:01 PM

Picasa - clone tool is found under 'retouch'. To resize you select the photo - click 'export' - adjust the slider to the size you want - or resize it when you click 'email'.

I am still learning to use Picasa and here are a couple of links which I found useful:

https://support.google.com/picasa/answer/156342?hl=en&rd=1

Cheers   :)

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:17 AM

Picasa - clone tool is found under 'retouch'. To resize you select the photo - click 'export' - adjust the slider to the size you want - or resize it when you click 'email'.

I am still learning to use Picasa and here are a couple of links which I found useful:

https://support.google.com/picasa/answer/156342?hl=en&rd=1

Cheers   :)

PICASA QUIT WORKING on my computer so i uninstalled it and now cannot reinstall it - I've used it for years - not sure why all of a sudden its not funcitoning but I saw something about it nor working on Windows 8 - but it has been doing so until just recently?

Thanks for the link - hopefully I can get back on Picasa - looks like useful information thanks

Edited by JayJax, 06 August 2015 - 04:25 AM.

#7 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

Hi JayJax - it can be confusing when you search for photo editing programs because some of them seem to be complicated and difficult to learn. My favourite and the one I mostly use is FastStone Image Viewer. It is easy to use and the clone and heal tool is excellent.    :)

#8 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:28 PM

Hi JayJax - it can be confusing when you search for photo editing programs because some of them seem to be complicated and difficult to learn. My favourite and the one I mostly use is FastStone Image Viewer. It is easy to use and the clone and heal tool is excellent.    :)

thanks for that recommendation I will definitely check it out - you're right its hard to find one that works good and has the tools needed.  

#9 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:52 AM

I hope this article/description of FastStone Image Viewer will give you some information to make comparisons with other editing programs:

http://www.refreshcartridges.co.uk/igloo/free-software-downloads-for-photographers/

Cheers, :)

#10 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:46 PM

I hope this article/description of FastStone Image Viewer will give you some information to make comparisons with other editing programs:

http://www.refreshcartridges.co.uk/igloo/free-software-downloads-for-photographers/

Cheers, :)

Thanks for your links they are really helpful.   I did download FastStone and for a few moments anyway I have used it a bit.   It will take me a while to find my way around but it looks like it has a lot of capabilities especially for a free program so thanks for making me aware of it.

#11 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:38 PM

Gimp, a free, full featured photo editing software can be downloaded from the link below, with no "extras".

http://www.gimp.org/

#12 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:15 AM

Gimp, a free, full featured photo editing software can be downloaded from the link below, with no "extras".

http://www.gimp.org/

Thanks, I will check that out. 

#13 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

I do not think you will be disappointed, Gimp has been called "the poor man's Photo Shop", and for good reason.

I use both, and prefer Gimp over Photo Shop for several tasks, on of them being Gimps "Free Hand Select" tool, to me, it is much more precise and easier to use.

#14 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:34 PM

I do not think you will be disappointed, Gimp has been called "the poor man's Photo Shop", and for good reason.

I use both, and prefer Gimp over Photo Shop for several tasks, on of them being Gimps "Free Hand Select" tool, to me, it is much more precise and easier to use.

I have now had a chance to use FastStone  - not extensively but enough to know that it has some really helpful desirable capabilities - I just need to figure out some of the "How-To's" I'm going to give Gimp a try next.   I think that I tried it once before and didn't have much luck but that was years ago and I have a better understanding of Photo Editing overall and so I think that probably the problem was not with Gimp but with me.    I'll post back after I've had a chance to try Gimp which will probably be this weekend sometimes.

I will say I have not had much luck with Photo Shop including problems downloading and activating the trial version once downloaded.  

I really need to make time to organize my pictures I have them stored here and there with duplicates here and there as well problem is they are named differently and I'm not quite sure how to go about this mess I've created.   I lost nearly all my photos probably 15 years ago which caused no end of grief - they were irreplaceable.   I had them backed up somewhere that was going to close and when I followed their directions to download wouldn't you know at that very second, there was an apparent power surge - my computer went down and my pictures floated off into cyber space never to be seen again.    I was hoping the site I had them stored on would be able to help but sadly was wrong.

So the fact that I now however annoying it is have a bunch of pictures here and there with different names all jumbled up is somewhat offset by the knowledge I don't have all my eggs in one basket so to speak.   The problem with that is that I'm not sure if I have ALL on each different site.   So you see I have lots of work to do and the first job is finding the time and the determination to set right the problem.   I think it will be a daunting task so starting out in a positive mindset (NOT on a day filled with frustration) will be key to my success.

I saw a discussion among tech types about how much back up is enough.   They seemed to prefer at least one but preferably two hard backup disks in my possession and a couple of off-site storage.   Redundancy will hopefully forestall another disaster like before.  Of course I have to actually implement sorting and copying and organizing.   Maybe its the next obsessive compulsive craze - how much backup is enough and if its all properly executed.   A middle road seems reasonable, disaster is always a possibility but I'll give it my best shot to hopefully prevent.

I can see where organization (something which is not something I'm that good at).   I suspect I have pictures within the past few years that are out there in places I've forgotten about or couldn't access.

So: recording the site, the email, the user name, the password, etc. is something that needs doing.   Then you run into the problem of losing this information.  I HATE PASSWORDS,   :blush:  I realize their importance but it does seem like they have a way of not being what I know they are and other various and sundry problems.   

As you can see I have a few good ideas but the devil is in the details - I don't want to get so hung up on all this that I feel overwhelmed and decide not to do it.

I know myself well - that's a tendency I have - overthinking and shooting myself in the foot. :nono:

Wish me luck? :thumbup2:

Thanks everybody for some very good suggestions. :spider

Edited by JayJax, 12 August 2015 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users