Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

College...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:46 AM

Soon I will be heading off to college... Now I was looking around at the student housing and the thing is that in each bedroom there is an ethernet jack for the high speed internet. Now I assume this ethernet jack goes to a switch wich is hooked to the schools T1 or T3 connections... or Business DSL but I don't think that is the case.. Anyways the thing is I was wondering can I plug a router into this jack do be able to hook up more then one computer at a time to the internet.. If I have a roomate with a computer and/or I have a desktop and laptop well I would like to to always have to unplug the wires...

I was also thinking about wireless so I can go to the living room or whatever with my laptop but I would lock it up with passwords (WEP and the other stuff...)

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Klink

Edited by Klinkaroo, 11 July 2006 - 11:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:57 PM

you could make it work, really all you are doing in that case is using the router as a switch/hub. you may want to consider changing your ip range and subnet mask to ensure securityex:use 10.10.x.x instead of 192.168.x.x. assuming your school's router dishes out ip adresses instead of having your own isp. in that case i would be concerned about your ping more than bandwidth. in a dorm, i would personally 1.disable "broadcast ssid", and 2. use mac address authentication for wireless to ensure more secure wireless lan. you know everybody has a lap with WLAN cards.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:10 AM

Ok thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users