Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Godaddy pros and cons

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:11 PM

Thought I'd start this topic but if any of the mods think it inappropriate, feel free to delete it?  I know that 'free' webhosting is preferred by many, I wanted to explain why I prefer paid webhosting.. especially now, with Godaddy.

I just switched to them in May, after having Yahoo webhosting ever since Yahoo started geocities (which then got ported over into another host, all paid).  The switchover was due to Yahoo insisting I use my FREE yahoo email every two weeks or I'd be locked out.  That, was even with paid webhosting.  So then I started looking around.

Godaddy has a lot of bad reviews, so I was a bit skeptical, but gave it a shot.  FOR ONE BIG REASON:  all I need is their phone number.  With Yahoo and most all the freebies, you don't get to just pick up the phone and call any hour, always getting someone professional, not some bypass 'help' center in some other country where they talk from scripts.

The cons are simple:  worst website navigation I've ever seen. They know that.  The guys at godaddy all hate it, too.

So again, the Pro reason of reasons:  all the webhosting I need to know is 480.505.8877.  They walked me through the whole process.  I signed up for their 'unlimited' plan, forget what it costs, but it's not much.  Domain name, all the webhosting tools, and I can even hire them to run it all for me (instead of just the innards), if I want.

Have had a number of issues since, mostly because I'm a noob at Linux and webhosting.  So.. who ya gonna call?  That saves time.  Sure, I write my own HTML, but could use any of their add-ins, like Wordpress or a ton of other things.  Sure, they are all Linux, and I don't know Linux, but I got .. their phone number.

Which brings me to the impetus for making this topic:  today, I got an email saying someone tried to break into my account.  So it was locked.  At first, I didn't know if it was a phishing email, so .. I just called them on the phone.  2 minute wait, got a guy whose name I can give you in PM (to protect his privacy), and he got me back up and running in five minutes.  Plus, gave me a lot of useful information about how my site was structured, why it was better not to use Wordpress, etc.

You can't pay enough for that kind of helpful caring, competence, attitude, just like the folks here in bleepingcomputer.com.  It's priceless!

So you get more than you pay for, that's my contention.  There, and here in bleepingcomputer.

Shutting up now, thank you for putting up with me.  And if you know some other webhoster you want to praise.. do!

Edited by brainout, 22 July 2015 - 12:18 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:09 PM

I have to agree.

I keep multiple websites with them and if ever there is an issue I call and they answer and solve it.

They have free CMS i.e. WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Moodle, and phpbb forum, shopping carts plus too much more to mention and there is a website builder for new just getting started to the web pages.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:38 PM

A major con is that they are known to either be in cahoots with or highly implicated in collaboration with domain ransom organisations.

ie: you let your domain registration slip by one day and magically this company buys it from under you, then offers it back to your for 1000's of dollars. Legal blackmail.

#4 BestStriker

BestStriker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:27 AM

Hi brainout,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Honestly, I've been in this hosting industry for almost 10 years and I have tried many hosters. And I believe there is no perfection in this world and each providers have their own strength and weakness. I have ever tried Godaddy in my past 5 years, for me with their price, I have no complaints with them. I pay very cheap price. My site sometimes went down with them. I cant expect more with cheap price. As my business growing every year, I decide to leave them and migrate to other hosting provider, named hostforlife.eu. Until now, I still use hostforlife to host my site. For domain, I still keep using godaddy as my registrar. For me, the important thing is the uptime site. Hostforlife has great uptime than godaddy, but my site can still offline, maybe the issue from one of their clients that made server slowly, it is acceptable for me. When I contacted them, they reply me very fast and solve on the spot. That's what I like.

#5 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:52 AM

Thank you, BestStriker, that's very helpful.  Europeans need to know where they can find a good hoster.  Is hostforlife located in the EU?

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:58 PM

A major con is that they are known to either be in cahoots with or highly implicated in collaboration with domain ransom organisations.

ie: you let your domain registration slip by one day and magically this company buys it from under you, then offers it back to your for 1000's of dollars. Legal blackmail.

I have to disagree.
I have domains renewing at different times of the year and they send a 90 day a 60 day a 30 day renewal notice.
Then a couple of days before the renewal they send another.
One day last March I had been so busy that I forgot to renew a site and it lapsed. The site went down. I was wigging out at my stupidity and the loss, I logged in and Go Daddy let me renew it no problem no late fee and they restored all my files and the site resurfaced.
Happy ending great customer service

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users