Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WHY CONTINUE WITH THE EURO ?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

And here are my thoughts again and that is as the old saying goes "The bigger you are the harder you fall". Rips and cracks have been appearing in the EU for some time now and to me there are big problems ahead. If a referendum were held now in the UK for example with the refugee crisis as it is now I would bet the UK citizens would opt out of the EU which of course would cause problems in the EU for a while, but in the end I think it would prove to be best for the UK. Hence after that there would be no doubt other countries would think along the same line, "shall we opt out too like the UK". Think about it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:45 AM

The UK is member of the EU but not of the Eurozone. The UK does not use Euros. Only Pounds Sterling.

They are free to leave the EU, with some political wrangling. But the government has not complained about the refugee issue. The ones who are openly complaining are Eastern European countries who were subject to Soviet rule before. This is shameful since during Stalin's era they actively pursued intents to leave their countries and become refugees in Western Europe or the United States. Have they forgotten history?

#18 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:15 PM

I am well aware the UK still has the Sterling and not the Euro. And the UK government has not complained about the refugee issue, they don't have to as they are not obliged to accept them at this stage. Germany, Merkel, big noted themselves saying we will accept as many as it takes then a week later they were jumping up and down complaining they couldn't cope and demanded other European countries help out. No one at this stage have any idea exactly who these people are or what their intensions are.They certainly are not short of cash as the have paid many thousands to the people smugglers and to me none looked as if they were famished. Yes I agree the situation is bad but these days what is going in the countries these people are coming from Europe has to be on the alert, prevention is better than the cure. Sorry pal but they are my thoughts. 

#19 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:07 PM

Why is Germany so willing to accept so many migrants, while other countries are not? Aside from the 800,000 it will take this year, officials have said Germany can handle 500,000 more per year, indefinitely.

That starts to add up in a few years, even in a country of 80+ million. This is more than a gesture. What is Merkel thinking?

The answer is that Merkel is thinking ahead. Germany’s economy is going to need those people. Germany currently has a population of 82 million, but that number is expected to fall by 12 million over the next 40 years. Further, as the population ages, the number of potential workers who are not retired will be reduced by many more millions. The percentage of people in Germany of working age (between 20 and 65) was projected by a recent study to drop from 61% to 54% by 2030. Germany recorded the lowest birth rate in the world from 2008 to 2013. 

Merkel’s immigration plan presents huge problems, given Germany’s generous retirement benefits and social programs. For every baby boomer that stops working, the country needs at least one person to start working. The US is in better shape only because they have enough legal immigrants to keep the demographic pipeline flowing. Even so, it will hit the wall at some point unless more and more potential retirees keep working.

Germany is in much deeper trouble on this point, and Merkel knows it. I suspect she wants to bring in quite a few million immigrants, somehow make good Germans out of them, and keep the economy humming.

There is a very real demographic reason why Germany is so willing to take a surfeit of these refugees: German’s demographics demand it. Simply put, Germany’s population… and especially its indigenous… population is imploding swiftly and certainly.

Already there are very real shortages of young, skilled workers, and many German companies openly and regularly complain that they cannot hire enough workers to fill job vacancies because there are not enough workers available for those jobs.

Further, Germany needs younger workers to fill those jobs because it needs their salaries for the social welfare programs that Germany is so renowned for. Simply put, there are not enough workers paying into the social programs to pay for them at present, and this problem shall become worse, not better, unless Germany’s population swells measurably in the coming years and decades.

So, Ms. Merkel has a clear ulterior motive for her seeming generosity: she wants the present welfare system in Germany that benefits now and will even more greatly benefit more in the future her normal constituency. If Germans are going to retire they shall need either newly born Germans to take their place and pay into the social security systems or Germany shall need to “import” foreign workers. For now, it is the latter that Ms. Merkel is embracing.

#20 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:56 PM

Topic started "WHY CONTINUE WITH THE EUORO?"

Thank goodness this is the speak easy forum..I'm flat dizzy with all that the OP has shared?

Are you seriously concerned with the Euro, or was it your first annoying thought to start the topic?

There are so many other underlying isses you describe? Many that have nothing to do with the Euro, perhaps that is the beauty of speaking easy!!

In lieu of quoting each item that leaves me curious, I have copied and pasted my reponses below in a diffeernt font color.

I'm quite certain that using the quote feature is not in the rules for this forum..here are my curious thoughts of yours:

Is it worthwhile to continue the experiment with this artificial currency, the Euro?

Europe is the result of many nation states with their own and different sovereigns (compare the Ottoman Sultans to the absolutist Kings of France and to the Kings of England, who gradually transferred their power to a Parliament mainly composed by commoners.

They speak different languages and have their own views on how and where they fit into a proposed Supereurope. This is not the union of 13 US states.

Knowing how difficult it is to have the political will to change something important in a country like the United States, imagine how difficult that would be in a whole bunch of different countries.

There are two types of Aliens. One is called Dollar Supply and the other one is Dollar Demand. When the world starts getting flooded with dollars the price of the USD will fall in relation to other countries. And interest rates go down. You see, we have too many dollars and the interest is the rent we pay to hold dollars. If there are many dollars you can rent them at a lower price.

In terms of anything, nefarious means something bad, wicked or villanous. You will rarely see this adjective connected to the Euro since there's nothing despicable in the Euro. It's simply another currency. Like pesos, pounds, yuan or yen. With the advantage that it's legal tender in many countries. I guess you can say the same for the dollar, even though it's not legal tender. <What?  When did the USA dollar become "not" legal tender.>

Now that statement ^^^^ in its self IMO, requires a very intense back up on your part to "prove" that the USA dollar is not legal tender?  Mind you, if I was in Chile, indeed, the USA Dollar would not be legal tender.  If you were to come to the USA whith your Chilean Peso, it would not be legal tender.

I'm not quite sure if your intent is to prove the continuation with the Euro concern, or if this forum for you is a stage to enjoy sharing frustrations about mutiple unions, immigrants, oil production etc?

In my humble opinion, last I traveled to The Netherlands December 2014..the insanity of "who" got the bucks for dollar conversion, the rules of only using approved means of purchase <typically a chip card..incurring a "cash advance 23%+ fee for any USA /Visa card> was insane!!

The fact that the difference to convert Dollars to Euros was the least of my concern! I could go to Potts Exchange in Amsterdam, pay no fees and just take what I could get!

What I was stuck with was, The Netherlands, who uses Euros, denied the use of "credit cards"..for "anyone" in the country. Thus a horrific realization that without Euros, the USA fees for "cash advance" to use a Visa/MasterCard/Amerian Express card for purchases"..really hurt! (Without expert knowledge, I would not be surprised that other "Euro" Countries carried the same rules.) I was left thinking that The Netherlands does not have a huge "credit debt" due to the <pay cash only concept,> guest or resident.

So..was the Euro a bad thing?  No..it was what it was. If I was not willing to experience my International Travel experience and learn to find the "best" exchange rate conversion from dollars to euors, I might have stayed home and gone to Disneyland!

Just my speak easy feed back!  What goes around goes around!  We have one life..get the most ~ wherever you are living and where you wish to go!

Apolgies in advance for any spelling errors,,I had my monkey assistant type this!

#21 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:09 AM

Syria has appealed for international assistance today, after a boatload of 500 Greeks arrived seeking a better life.

#22 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:39 AM

Syria has appealed for international assistance today, after a boatload of 500 Greeks arrived seeking a better life

Now that's the sort of news I like.

#23 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:01 PM

Softeyes. When I travel to Europe or the USA my credit card is accepted everywhere. I can also purchase dollar or euro currency, no amount limit, from any houses of exchange or directly from banks. So I have never been without euro bills. When you travel in Europe its good to carry some 2 or 3 thousand euros in cash, well concealed. You can buy them in the US. The Chilean peso is only legal tender in Chile. But I can use it to buy any other currency which is legal tender in other countries at any FOREX house, like dollars, euros, pounds sterling, Swiss francs, Swedish krona, Chinese yuan (or renminbi) or just about any other currency. Some are more difficult to find, like the Mongolian tögrög, but in these cases you have to go to a bank.

As for the new Syrian Immigrants or refugees (there is a distinction there) it is strange that the state most responsible for the murder and relocation of its citizens is now asking for international assistance. Are the tables turning on Assad? Or is he just worried a team of Seals will drop on him and kill him?

#24 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:00 PM

Syria has appealed for international assistance today, after a boatload of 500 Greeks arrived seeking a better life.

Hmmmm I will say no more after the last comment..... :crazy: 

#25 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:23 PM

@passagalia #23#what???

Gimmmmmeeee a break!  Not one credible repsonse, to any of your statements in my post!

The best you can do is talk to me like I've never travelled out of the United States and I've not a clue about Euros!

Bet you and Trump would getalong just swell!

I'm not blonde BTW..I'm a Redhead..and...

aedce062-d010-41d7-8c21-b4be779284de_zps

Done with your Why...

#26 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

If I were you I could not have said it better myself Softeyes..

#27 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

Softeyes. The dollar is not legal tender in Chile and never has been. It is not legal tender in any South American country except Ecuador. And it is not legal tender anywhere in Europe and never has been.

Since you travel so much you may have noted that when you buy something at a store in Germany you have to pay with Euros, not dollars. Dollars are not legal tender.

Legal tender is any official medium of payment recognized by law that can be used to extinguish a public or private debt, or meet a financial obligation. The national currency is legal tender in practically every country. A creditor is obligated to accept legal tender toward repayment of a debt.

Legal tender can only be issued by the national body that is authorized to do so, such as the U.S. Treasury in the United States and the Royal Canadian Mint in Canada.

I had no idea of what you described about the Netherlands since consumer debt there is over 700 billion euros. And that is a credit problem.

(http://www.cbs.nl/en-GB/menu/methoden/toelichtingen/alfabet/d/debts-dutch-households.htm)

I have used ATMs in Germany and they work just fine. Same in Spain, Portugal, Sweden and Norway. I cannot vouch for other countries, except for Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay, since I have not traveled for some time.

The fact that you're a redhead and not a blonde has absolutely no relevance to this discussion. And as for Donald Trump, he is beneath me except in money. As a matter of fact, I believe this statement covers the whole lot of us.

Edited by passacaglia, 29 September 2015 - 01:31 PM.

#28 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

passagalia,

I don't know If you realise it, but you are coming across as pretentious and talking down to members of this website. 

#29 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:14 PM

If so I am very sorry and offer apologies, It has not been my intent to denigrate anybody. And I welcome any and all criticism from people who have erroneously felt I was talking down to.

#30 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:50 AM

I highly discourage anyone from walking around with 2000-3000 Euro worth of cash on their body anywhere, really. If you don't trust banks wherever you are going, deposit some of that money in a safe somewhere that you trust (eg Hotel). But running around with more than many people make in 2 months is just asking for trouble.
If you really really feel the need to behave like Dagobert Duck, I would recommend going with something like Traveller Cheques that you can still exchange in most banks. (Though they're getting fewer and fewer and you're losing the exchange commission, if I recall correctly that's around 15% in total).

With respect to the EU failing, I can only say that this is the longest period of peace central europe has ever had and this, by itself, is already a HUGE success. Not something that would've happened as easily without the EU and all that effort that went into allying everyone with everyone so that war has become basically impossible.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users