Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fully anonymous email?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:26 AM

Is there an easy way to send anonymous emails from Win XP using Outlook?

My primary purpose is reducing spam from online merchants. I am not trying to hide from the NSA. If I buy something from an online vendor or download some software, I don't want to get on any email lists,

I currently use Spamex. It's works very well, but it a little inconvenient to use. I have to log onto my Spamex account and create a disposable email address (DEA). I can then give that to the vendor. It integrates well with Outlook fpor incoming email and for replying to incoming emails, but not so well if I want to start an email thread.

Here's my wishlist:

1. As anonymous as possible for typical users, like companies. (Not trying to fool the NSA.)
  2. Easy to use. Spamex works, but is not very convenient.
  3. Integrates easily with Outlook, such as allowing me to use my contact list.
  4. Provides as option to get a reply or not.
  5. Allows attachments.

I looked into getting a free email account (gmail, yahoo, etc.), but they ask for a lot of personal information and I really don't trust these companies.

Thanks for any help or pointers to tutorials.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

I'm not sure this is relevant to all your conditions, it certainly won't work without outlook, it would be a webmail only solution, but I can think of two ways of having a fairly anonymous email account, which is good both for sending and receiving. The two ways are based around the same principle but the latter is a bit more anonymous.

1. Set up a free webmail account with one of the smaller webmail providers, they ask for less data and don't usually need phone verification (google does). As long as the webmail provider doesn't need phone verification then there is nothing to force you to provide your personal details. This account can then be used as you would any other webmail account, the only difference being it doesn't have personal data attached to it in any way. Some webmail providers might require a log in every ... weeks or they might shut the account down, but in general it is permanent for as long as you need it. There are some providers who focus on anonymity, though for real anonymity you need to combine this with step 2, they are good choices, because they ask for less data during setup. webmail accounts like this can generally be setup to forward to other accounts, but might be less anonymous from doing so.

2. Do the above, but do it through tor or a VPN, and only ever use the webmail account through tor or a vpn. When you send an email to someone one of the things which is carried along with the email is your IP adress (if you receive emails from people you can look at "show original" and see all those numbers in the text which is shown, some of them are IP addresses of the sender's computer and the servers the message goes through.). If you go to the webmail site via tor or a vpn then the IP adress going along with the message will be the adres of the exit realy or the VPN's server, not your own IP adress. For what you seem to be wanting this might be an un-necessary step, using method 1 might be enough for you, but for higher levels of anonymity this is how you begin.

Edited by rp88, 23 July 2015 - 03:27 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

Rp,

I hadn't thought of a webmail solution. That has a lot of advantages. Thanks. Can you recommend any of the smaller webmail providers?

Since posting, I've done a little research. I came across several places that strongly recommended using TOR. I did a little experimenting, but couldn't get it to work right. I'll try again when I get a minute.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:19 PM

If you download tor, whatever you do make sure to download it from the official source, not from another site. It is recommended in many places because it is one of the best known ways to browse anonymously, and unlike most VPNs it is free.

What is not working with tor? What are you trying to do?

Unfortunately I cannot remember any of the webmail providers best for this thought of thing, I haven't needed to setup or use anonymous email for many years. A google search for "anonymous email" might turn up some results.

P.S. I noticed the title was "FULLY anonymous email", for fully anonymous even tor and webmail is probably not enough, but tor and webmail is certainly good enough for PRACTICALLY anonymous, as in "not traceable by your average individual or company, probably traceable by governments, but only if they put in a lot of effort".

Edited by rp88, 23 July 2015 - 05:23 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

Considering the mail provider : Yandex (Russia based) isn't small but I like it !

You don't need phone verification if you choose "I don't have a telephone number".  :thumbup2:

I think it's as safe as any other mail service and if you use it through Tor or VPN you have your anonymity...

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#6 sonofbabs

sonofbabs

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:45 PM

this one i use.

https://ruggedinbox.com/createAccount.php

Edited by sonofbabs, 03 August 2015 - 04:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users