Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hackers Remotely control a Jeep on the highway...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

Seriously, this hacking thing has gotten way out of control. And these idiots publicly reveal it at Blackhat instead of approaching the auto industry with this information quietly. Now every script-kiddy in the world will want to do this.

Link:  Remote Control

Video Report

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:23 PM

Didn't you read the report? The hackers have been working with Chrysler, who have released a security upgrade for the affected vehicle.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:44 PM

Right you are... I should have slowed down and read it more carefully.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:25 PM

The two researchers say that even if their code makes it easier for malicious hackers to attack unpatched Jeeps, the release is nonetheless warranted because it allows their work to be proven through peer review. It also sends a message: Automakers need to be held accountable for their vehicles’ digital security. “If consumers don’t realize this is an issue, they should, and they should start complaining to carmakers,” Miller says. “This might be the kind of software bug most likely to kill someone.”

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

This proves that too many things in the modern world have computers in them. Cars a decade ago could not be hacked like this, they didn't have these vulnerabilities because they just had simple electronics within components, not complex computers running everything. Computers are brilliant, but they are vulnerabe to failures and hacks of many kinds, there are systems which should not have any computers within them, systems which do not need them, cars are one such system. The same goes for keyless entry systems, the desire to be modern and include computers where a mechanical system had worked fine for more than half a century leads to more problems than it solves.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

This no doubt will take all the fun out of high speed chases.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:52 PM

Maybe news like this, if news like this happens often enough and in a wide enough range of fields, will be enough to make people realise that it is rather foolish to have EVERTHING being "smart". Perhaps popular desire for :a car that is just a car(rather than a computer on wheels), a fridge which is just a fridge (rather than a computer with some pipes, coolant and pumps tucked around the back), infrastructure which is just infrastruture (rather than a network waiting to crash at the first coronal mass ejection)... might return.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:55 PM

So much for the DRM fight going on with automakers wanting to not allow automobile owners having access to their proprietary code.

Just one of many articles on that, subject. Now you can say you were hacked when you tweak your performance module.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/24/8490359/general-motors-eff-copyright-fight-dmca

Okay two links on Auto DRM

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/let-us-hack-our-cars/

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=DMCA+and+the+auto+industry

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users