Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yet ANOTHER (scam) call from "Windows Technical Department

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:11 AM

This time from "John". Paraphrasing:

"John": Hello this is Windows Technical Department, I am calling about your Windows... how are you today?
U_T: Oh REALLY? This should be interesting... go ahead, do your worst.

"John": (sounding confused) What do you mean sir, this is Windows Technical Department, I am calling about your Windows...

U_T: You already said that "John" (in a very sarcastic tone) I do not believe you John.
"John": (stammering) I am calling about your Windows. You are having the virus...

U_T: (Cutting him off) Horse Hockey!!!

"John": What is this horse hockey? I do not understand this words.

U_T: It means I'm calling bullsh*t!

"John": (now he's really stammering & flustered... he goes back to the script) This is Windows Technical Department, I am calling about your Windows.

U_TIf you're from "Windows" answer one question for me, who is the CEO of "Windows"?
"John": (Homina homina homina, long pause) Whaaat is this CEO? What do you mean?

U_T: Nice try @$$ hole, buh-bye!
"John": (raising voice several octaves) Mother@%$#$  c@$%$u@$#r you the @$$ hole, I report you to the police...
U_T: BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAA!!! (Click).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:53 AM

I had the same 3 weeks ago , even though thev`ve tried about 10 times in the past year, and the same i lead them on ......lol.

The Usual Foobar  - click this - type this - can you install Team Viewer - See the WebPage for Credit Card Details  - See your Errors ?

This Is Microsoft Technical Dept:

Occasion 1/ I Have 5 Pcs - which one has Virus ? ... He persists - I need you to do this etc.

Occasion 2/ Ive said this is the Police station - He Persists...etc.

Occasion 3/ I have a MAC - He hangs up.

Occasion 4/ Same Night  a Female rings - Let her Ramble for 10 mIns and i said dinners ready bye.

Last one 3 weeks ago from Telstra Technician - I said - "Go ahead this call is being Recorded " ...Reply !  Mother F%****** / Your Mothers a Whore / and hangs up on me.

Now i find it amusing - i lead them on - as they are paying for the call - its like a Mosquito flying around ya head when you trying to sleep...annoying !!

But Hilarious at the same time.

Edited by Havachat, 22 July 2015 - 07:56 AM.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

@ Union_Thug.....you got a call from "John" too...??........he is really spreading himself around !...dedicated little creep that he is ....

I scored a similar call a few days ago....warning me in strident tones that "my windows" was in imminent danger of succumbing to a fiendish viral attack....

SO....after a few to and froes..... i had to allow him to gather a head of steam so he at least thought he was on a winner.....

I then told him the kangaroo was hungry and thirsty and was calling out for a fresh beer and a handful of peanuts.......dropped the phone on the desk, clicked on "Waltzing Matilda" in my music list......and left him to listen.....

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

Union_Thug post#1:

Well done for annoying the scammer, but I can think of a way you could have annoyed him MORE, and wasted more of his time to give him less chance to ring people who might fall for him.

Upon receiving the call, first ensure your computer is turned off, and disconnected from the internet (if it uses a wire make sure this is not connected). Then step away from your computer into another room. Now tell the man on the phone that you are just starting your computer (of course in reality it is OFF and you are in another room), to avoid him asking why he can't hear the windows log on sound tell him you have a problem with your speakers. Now pretend to follow his instructions, tell him what you would be seeing if you were (but in reality the machine is off and you are metres away) following them. At any point you can appear to be as inexperienced with computers as possible, when he says "right click" say "I've opened mspaint, drawn out the word "CLICK" but nothing has happened", when he says "press any key" ask "where is the "any" key". The key things you need to memorize are: what the windows "windows key+r" "run" dialog box looks like, what control panel, administrative options and event viewer look like, how to open event viewer, how to open a command prompt window, what a command prompt window looks like. You must not, ofcourse, be tempted to turn on the pc and actualy do any of these things, just remember what they look like, so you know what to describe down the phone when the man inevitably asks you to do them. Another useful thing to remember is all the jokes about really incompetent users, pretend you are making each and every one of the mistakes described by these jokes. Keep this up as long as you can until he realises you are talking bulls**t and have not been anywhere near a computer the whole time. See how long you can keep him on the line and wasting his money paying for the call.

Another thing to consider is that you could always deliberately interpret "calling about your windows" as a question about glass, see how long you can keep him busy by saying "No, surely not, "my windows" can't have a virus, or any other hamrful microbes on them, I sprayed them with detergent yesterday, and wiped down the outside just last week.".

Condobloke post#3:

Do you know how long he listened to the music for before giving up?

Edited by rp88, 23 July 2015 - 03:52 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,585 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

Judging by the profanity at around the three minute mark...followed by silence....i guess that was about the extent of it.

However....i am quietly confident the ticked off state this left him in may have thrown him off his game for a while longer. Probably took several cups of coffee etc etc to regain his equilibrium....(muttering under his breath &^*^*&*** aussies)

The intrinsically stupid thing is....they will try again !....and the 'kangaroo' is ready and waiting...as is the bunyip or the wombat.... :hysterical:

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 959 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

Well just got a new Scam to deal with , Green Energy Oz.

Hello Sir { Indian Accent }. just a short message into Solar Panel  Rebate of $3000.blah blah blah.

ME: =  Not Interested.

But Sir - { Following Script ...lol } Is this the Home Owner { Maybe } and this is PH No 6473657463746547 { Well You Rang Me ? }.

Ok Sir - We have checked your background and you qualify for the Rebate { Checked What ? }  

Sir i,ll put you through to My Supervisor { Go Ahead - Your Paying for the Call } .

Hello Sir - My Name is Benjamin from Green Energy Oz and we can send an Engineer to evaluate your Property - do you have Solar Installed ?

I thought you said i qualified ? That would mean i probably dont have Solar and you Know Everything About Me.

Yes Sir - you do , would you like to make an appointment.

Yeh ! Righty Oh - Send em Around you have my address i hope ? 

Silence ????

And your name is Benjamin from Green Energy - Whats you last Name Ben ?

Guess What ? .....He Hangs UP !!!

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,736 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:19 PM

Yeh ! Righty Oh - Send em Around you have my address i hope ?

Well of course they do didn't they just do a background check? :lmao:

#8 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:45 AM

lol my dad had this same f****ng scam 2 years ago!

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:27 AM

I've had the same call several times... last time about a week ago.

Caller: (speaking very fast mumbles something unintelligible "This is <unintelligible> from  <unintelligible>Government Solar Rebate plan <incoherent blather> qualify for a rebate...

Me: WHOA stop, where's the fire...slow down... you are who from where?

Caller: <sounding confused> Fire? No fire sir... I am <I forget name given, I'll call him "Chad"> from <unintelligible>Government Solar Rebate plan and you qualify for the rebate...

Me: I didn't apply for or inquire about any rebate.

Chad: Yes sir I know that, we have completed a background check and...

Me: I didn't apply for or inquire about any rebate. Why would the "government" run an uninitiated background check?

Chad: <long pause as he is presumably checking his script for a answer> Sir, let me get my supervisor.

Supervisor: This is "William", how can I help, I understand you have some question (singular) regarding the rebate program?

Me: Yes hello "William"... what is your last name and what department of the "government" do you work for?

William:  <CLICK> ...dial tone.

Edited by Union_Thug, 22 August 2015 - 04:28 AM.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

My favourite ever troll of a Windows Support Scammer was this which the guy recorded - link to Soundcloud.  It's hysterical!  He claims to be using Windows 95, connecting to the internet through Compuserve dial up (plays samples of a modem dial tone at various times), claims to be using the Mosaic web browser (popular circa 1994!!!) and pretends to not know how to type a web address, and during the call offers payment to the scammer with an expired Diners Club card...  Keeps the scammer busy for two hours  :hysterical:

Edited by jonuk76, 01 September 2015 - 01:31 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

Fabulous! Especially the dial-up tones.

#12 dow5100

dow5100

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:08 PM

I just got a call like this today for the 2nd time this week. I have have been in the telemarketing industry for many years and I can tell you this is 100% a scam. 

What to do? Tell the rep you dont feel comfortable giving him your PC remote access since he called you and that he should give you his call back number and you will call him right back. Once you have a call back number, call back to verify that its indeed the number of the person who called you. ( If a phone number in displayed on your caller-id it my br a spoof number or a number that can not receive a call back and the FTC may not be able to properly investigate who is behind the SCAM therefore you need to verify a call back number the way I stated above)  Now call the FTC at 877-382-4357 hit option 1, then option 8 to report the scam. 

This is a scam going on here in the USA for years we need to stop this scam from fellow citizens who arent savvy enough not to give these scammers your PC access. It is our (the ones who know its a scam to get a call back number to properly report it. to the FTC at 8773824357 option 1 for English, then option 8.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:40 PM

@dow5100 #12

First of all - welcome to BC ! 

Secondly -

This is a scam going on here in the USA for years

You are not alone - it happens in the UK as well. The last time I said 'Yes - but which Windows computer ?' . . . 'But which Windows computer, I've got six of them here.' . end of conversation.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,736 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:51 PM

I love it when they phone and tell me my Windows system is broken,  I use Linux only.

#15 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 959 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:47 AM

Last week was - do you know that your entitled to a Government Grant to further your Education.

At my age ? yeh right....keep trying Stooges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users