Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"What You Need to Know About Windows Update on Windows 10", via HowToGeek

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:56 AM

Windows Update has seen a lot of changes on Windows 10. The biggest is a more aggressive approach to getting everyone up-to-date, but Windows 10 will also use BitTorrent-style peer-to-peer downloads for updates.

Many of the included applications on Windows 10 the Microsoft Edge browser and all those other universal apps will be automatically updated through the Windows Store, which is separate from Windows Update.

What You Need to Know About Windows Update on Windows 10

This article answers another question a lot of users in this section have: what about forced Windows Updates installed on metered connections? Well, you'll be able to prevent that.

Windows wont download updates on connections you mark as metered. This ensures Windows wont waste valuable tethering data or other mobile data on updates that can wait until it reaches a solid, unrestricted Wi-Fi network. To prevent Windows from downloading updates on a specific connection, first connect to that WI-Fi network.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:10 AM

Helpful! Thank you for posting. Hope I could apply this when the time comes.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

No problem, you're welcome :) If you ever have issues with anything under Windows 10 when you upgrade, feel free to come seek assistance in this section :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,003 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:41 PM

I'm running the final retail version of Windows 10 right now, and there is one thing that the article didn't mention. I have the Windows 10 Home Edition and you do have a choice when the system restarts after an update that requires a restart. You can choose to be notified before a system restart, which is the option I chose.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:49 PM

Althought it's not specified, this paragraph is also for the users of Windows 10 Professional.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#6 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:10 PM

Althought it's not specified, this paragraph is also for the users of Windows 10 Professional.

Aura hi.

I did reserve for W10 upgrade but I wish to keep it on hold for a while. As the date for the final W10 update/download approach I'm wondering about making some mistake. I'm clumsy at the best when it comes to these matters. 

Is there something I must definitely not click on in order to avoid initiating the upgrade process?

I understand that in that case there will be no return to W7.

Hope I'm not off the post topic, kindly redirect me if so.

Take care

:)

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:26 PM

Is there something I must definitely not click on in order to avoid initiating the upgrade process?

Once the Windows 10 upgrade will have been downloaded on your system, you'll be notified. From there, you can choose to upgrade right away or delay the operation. Delaying it or just ignoring it's completion are what I would do if you want to wait before upgrading.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:04 PM

Thanx Aura

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:05 PM

No problem, you're welcome :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:31 PM

Just to repeat, Folks...

IF one has Reserved the Win10 Download all that does is provided you the installer for Windows 10...  it does not self-install automatically.  YOU install it when YOU want to get it done.  IF you delay beyond 28/7/16 it can no longer be done for free.  Windows 10 is not only extremely good, highly capable, full-Featured & very easy to use but, it lasts on into the future while prior OSs do not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users