Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with VPN and DNS resolving on just smartphones

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 marc7654

marc7654

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:18 AM

Hello,

My name is Marc and i'm new to BleepingComputer.com. I'm going to start my journey with a problem i need to have resolved:p.

1. I've got a Windows Server with VPN running on RRAS, when i'm connecting with a windows pc i'm able to go to network shares by typing \\dc01\ or \\pc01\ for example and i can connect to remote desktop by typing computer names, it's just the internal DNS (192.168.1.2) that resolves the names for me. Now the problem is, whenever i connect to my vpn using a smartphone with android or iOS for example... I'm just not able to resolve these names like DC01 and PC01.

I do have Internet over VPN and i AM able to connect to shares and stuff by typing it's 'ip address', but before i could just type the name of the workstation/client i wanted to connect to. The problem occured yesterday without any reason... I did make a few changes in the DNS for adding the google dns (8.8.8.8). It seemed not to work. But i've made a backup of my DNS settings and i have recoverd it. Now everything is working except smartphones:S.

------

2. Little bit off the point but i've got another question about the Google DNS. I've done a test with a tool called 'namebench' and it said that the google dns is 350% faster than my current 192.168.1.2 DNS. But when i add the Google DNS to the DHCP Server as Primary and 192.168.1.2 as Secondary, i'm not able to resolve internal DNS names (pc01,pc02,dc01, etc.) at all?!... Someone who knows how to fix this?

First question is most certainly the primary problem i'd like to fix.

Fine regards,

Marc Hoving.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:56 AM

you specify google's dns servers by ip in the forwarders under DNS

0 user(s) are reading this topic