Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get Windows 10 on 8.1 machine

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:29 AM

My main Windows 7 Pro desktop has the Get Windows 10 icon in the systray. Two of my 8.1 laptops do not have it, and I can't really find a clue about getting it, although MS's website has the usual extremely convoluted allusions to how one might need to do this or that first, referring to endless knowledge bases, etc. What's the deal here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:23 AM

Hi RbtCmpt :)

The "Get Windows 10" app is pushed via the KB3035583, so if you don't have it installed, you won't get that icon. If you go in C:\Windows\System32, do you have a folder called GWX? If so, go in it and launch GWX.exe, does the icon appear?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users