Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Adapter not Reading after Taking computer apart

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:50 PM

Hey people! 

(Inspiron 5110)

I've only been repairing computers for a year for local residents. I had a problem removing malware from a badly infected computer. It was a Windows 7 OA out of warranty, so I gave it Windows 8.1. Originally, I was able to connect to the internet on a 32 bit installation, but Windows Updates would kill it over and over after reinstalling 8.1 several times. Then, I couldn't even install Windows. 

As a last ditch effort to save the hard drive, I took apart the LPT and connected the hard drive to my laptop and ran chkdsk. I was surprised to see that it worked. I put the same hard drive back in and it accepted Windows 8.1 64 bit. (I originally didn't realize it was 64 bit.) 

Now, it can't connect to the internet. I took the computer apart to make sure everything was secure and plugged in. I secured the motherboard better and made sure the network adapter and everything else was connected. The pc still can't connect to the internet via wireless or ethernet. 

Did I short something out? Any ideas? Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:55 AM

I gave it Windows 8.1

Did you install the mainboard drivers on that hard drive for W8.1?  Without those drivers there will be many problems with that computer.  If you can't find the drivers on the manufacturer's website for that model box best to roll back to Windows 7. If you wiped the original Windows 7 partition only, possibly the original image restore partition is still on the hard drive so you can reimage Windows7 back on it again.  If you wiped that also, well, ...

[EDIT]: Ok, if you are up a tree without a ladder on this one, there may be one possible option: get a USB Wireless Adapter, install the drivers, and you may get internet access that way. That is SOP when I have an old unit with integrated NIC and it fails (not an uncommon issue).

I haved found TP-LInk to be a very dependable and inexpensive fix.

Edited by ranchhand_, 22 July 2015 - 08:03 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the help! 

I installed the network adapter from Dell from a USB. There were 4 other drivers available per the service tag I entered on Dell: Application, Audio, BIOS, and video. Are you saying that I need to install those drivers too? Or... do I just need to get the USB network adapter and scan the machine for diagnostics on Dell? 

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

Definitely you need to install all of the mainboard drivers for Windows 8.1 on that machine. Make very sure that you have the correct drivers for that mainboard. If you entered the correct service tag, those should be the correct drivers for that board.

Enter Command, and try to ping the router on your internet connection. I suspect you will get an error message with a generic "can't find any network available" or somesuch.

Click on the internet connection icon in the system tray; if it reads "connections available", click on your network connection and see if you can connect.

if it reads "no connections available", do the following:

> Click START

> in the Run box at the bottom type:  cmd (press Enter)

> type: IPCONFIG (press Enter)

....locate the given IP address, series of 4 numbers with dots between. ( example: 10.0.0.23)

....the subnet mask should read: 255.255.255.0

> type: ping  [ip address here, no brackets],  (Space between Ping and ip address), press Enter.

It should recieve a series of 4 packets successfully, if not your NIC is not working and is probably bad.

> if you get an error message to the effect that it cannot access, your NIC is not working.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

Well... I found that if I restart the PC with the ethernet cable in and do not take it out, it would maintain connection to the internet. I went to dell product support and it said that no driver updates were needed. I hadn't manually installed the extra drivers, and I was briefly contemplating what to do and windows may a few bleeps and went blank. Now, Windows won't load normally. Does this mean the hard drive needs to be replaced? I could take the hard drive out and run chkdsk again to repair it, but wouldn't the same error occur again? Thanks again!!! 

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

Ok, so I assume you could not ping the router and we are back to square one.

Let's start from basics.

> Reset your CMOS (the BIOS) to factory default, just in case corruption is causing problems.

> Set your boot order in the BIOS to CD=1st boot device, HDD=2nd boot device

> Check your Hard Drive (HDD):

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
When the program opens, click the upper left corner for the Long Test.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.
Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

> Check your RAM:

> Download the (free) zip file (2nd from the top) ISO of Memtest86+ and burn to a CD.

> Make sure your BIOS is set to CD = 1st Boot Device, HDD = 2nd Boot Device.

>Reboot with the CD in your drive. Allow it to run until you get a message at the bottom of the screen that testing is complete (about 20 minutes). Any red posts at the bottom of the screen means that memory stick is bad.

Important: Test only one (1) stick at a time.

If Memtest will not run or you get error messages, your computer may have other problems than your memory.

Do those and post back with the results.

Edited by ranchhand_, 22 July 2015 - 03:42 PM.

#7 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:44 PM

Well, I can't boot into safe mode, so it looks like I'll have to take the LPT apart and get the hard drive out to run chkdsk again. If I just put a new hard drive in, do you know if it will resolve the issues? Thanks!!! 

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:02 PM

Before you spend money on a new HDD, which may not be the problem, let's exhaust all the options.

> First...have you found the proper key that is supposed to boot you into safe mode? What exactly happens when you try?

> When you boot up from cold start, can you see the POST screen? That is the black screen with various white lettering on it just before Windows (normally) opens? This is important.

> Try to boot into the BIOS, usually by pressing a key on boot. DELETE key is commonly used, but it could also be an F key. This is important.

Edited by ranchhand_, 22 July 2015 - 07:04 PM.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:29 AM

Still with me, or do we close this thread??

#10 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

Sorry for the delay. I went through some personal stuff. 

Yes, I can access BIOS. I can also access the command for safe mode though advanced Windows 8.1 options, then a restart. I was able to get to Windows 8.1 through this step, but normal mode does not load anymore. It just gives a black screen after trying to load Windows. Windows keeps doing that after several refreshes. It always gives a few beeps, then goes black, then doesn't load Windows normally anymore. I'm not really sure what to do. Thanks for all the help!!!  

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:00 PM

...sorry for the late reply, I was out of town in scheduled meetings.

I am here now if you still need help.

#12 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

Thank you! Well, I've tried to install Windows 7 and that didn't work either. I think I need to make changes in the BIOS, but it won't let me access the things in the BIOS that a friend recommended. ( I think it was disable safe boot and disable UEFI ) I want to try to download 8.1 again with the correct BIOS settings. I'm not sure where to get that information. 

#13 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:25 PM

At this point I need to do an advanced installation. Should I just download all the drivers and burn them to a disk? Thanks again! 

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:12 PM

Earlier you ran Chkdsk on the hard drive and it finished, so I would assume the HDD is good. However....if you can, follow the directions for checking your HDD in Post #6.

Your initial problem was inability to access internet. You said (post #5):

I found that if I restart the PC with the ethernet cable in and do not take it out, it would maintain connection to the internet.

I have had this happen numerous times; the NIC (Network Interface Card) will recognize the ethernet cable, but the wireless end of the card failed. This is a common problem. If you follow my directions in Post #2 about a USB network adapter it may solve your problem. However, now we have the added problem of a corrupted OS, so we have to take care of that first.

I want to try to download 8.1 again with the correct BIOS settings.

Note that any Windows OS (Operating System) has nothing to do with BIOS settings. The BIOS is a physical chip that is installed on your motherboard and the settings come from the manufacturer. Upon boot, the first thing the CPU does is shoot an inquiry to the BIOS chip for information on what to do next (boot the hard drive with Windows, of course). If that BIOS setting gets corrupted it can stop a computer cold. A reset is the only way to return it to normal and that is what you must concentrate on first.  After Windows is up and running you can tweak it to your heart's content, but the default setting are usually best for general computing.

I have no knowledge of the steps for resetting the BIOS on your particular lap, I suggest you consult the manual if you have it, or the manufacturer's website may have one for download, or possibly there is a manufacturer's customer help section you can access and post a question.

Well, I've tried to install Windows 7 and that didn't work either.

Ok, that complicates things. If you attempted to install Windows8 over W7, you may have a corrupted mess on your hands. After you get the BIOS reset, see if you can boot into Windows. If you get error messages (I expect you will), post them here. If you get the message, "insert operating system disk" or words to that effect, insert your Windows installation disk. When it gets to the screen where it offers to remove the existing partition, OR it offers to reformat, do it. Note that everything on the drive will be irretrievably lost but hopefully you can install Windows successfully.
[EDIT]: syntax correction: should read, "If you attempted to install W7 over Windows8...."

Edited by ranchhand_, 07 August 2015 - 10:26 AM.

#15 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:08 PM

Since it has been 10 days since the last post I am taking you off my answer list; if you need additional help send a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users