Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost my important documents pls help!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Alravel

Alravel

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:44 PM

Basically I wanted to shift+del a .pptx file on my desktop. It did successfully delete HOWEVER

my other files on a particular folder located in my desktop has been deleted! I only have files with "~$(followed by file name) in this particular folder. This is weird, i am hoping to get my documents back asap as I have a deadline to meet. 

pls help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:17 AM

Probably can't help much but did you try a restore point.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

Hi Alravel :)

If you have the System Restore and Shadow Volume Copy services enabled, you can right-click on the Desktop folder, and from there go to the Previous Versions tab. In it, select a Desktop folder from a date/time where your files were still in it, then double-click to open it. From there, navigate to where the files are located, and you can copy/paste them somewhere else.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Alravel

Alravel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:27 AM

Probably can't help much but did you try a restore point.

I do not have a restore point.

Hi Alravel :)

If you have the System Restore and Shadow Volume Copy services enabled, you can right-click on the Desktop folder, and from there go to the Previous Versions tab. In it, select a Desktop folder from a date/time where your files were still in it, then double-click to open it. From there, navigate to where the files are located, and you can copy/paste them somewhere else.

Hello, I have right-click on the Desktop folder but there is no "Previous Versions" tab. How do I check if I have Shadow Volume Copy services enabled?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:32 AM

Can you open one of the files with ~$. Do not double click the file. Open the Office application associated with the file. Then select File > Open and browse to the file with the ~$.

#6 Alravel

Alravel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:34 AM

Can you open one of the files with ~$. Do not double click the file. Open the Office application associated with the file. Then select File > Open and browse to the file with the ~$.

"We're sorry. We can't open ~$S Plan(My document name) because we found a problem with its contents." was the error i received. Proceeded on to click on "Details" and it said, "The file is corrupt and cannot be opened."

Edited by Alravel, 22 July 2015 - 07:35 AM.

#7 Alravel

Alravel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:36 AM

The only weird thing is that I only intended to delete a pptx file on my desktop which was outside that folder, but after doing so, my files in that folder is gone. 

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:42 AM

Hello, I have right-click on the Desktop folder but there is no "Previous Versions" tab. How do I check if I have Shadow Volume Copy services enabled?

Press on Win Key + R and enter services.msc then press on Enter. From there, look for Shadow Volume Copy. Is it Started or Stopped?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:45 AM

I am not sure how deleting one file would remove files from a folder. Did you open Recycle Bin and see if the files are there? If they are, Highlight them and select restore.

#10 Alravel

Alravel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:57 AM

Press on Win Key + R and enter services.msc then press on Enter. From there, look for Shadow Volume Copy. Is it Started or Stopped?

I do not have Shadow Volume Copy.

I am not sure how deleting one file would remove files from a folder. Did you open Recycle Bin and see if the files are there? If they are, Highlight them and select restore.

Is it something to do with my software? My laptop can only start up with power supply, not with battery. It's an old laptop. Nowadays, before I unplug my power, I save the files first. The next time I boot my laptop up again, the files are there. 

Sometimes, Word/PowerPoint would ask which versions of the document to save, like the Auto Restore ones or the Original ones (although I have already saved previously) However I still chose the most updated document that I have and proceeded to work.

Until this happened....

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:05 AM

I wouldn't be able to answer that question. Maybe somebody with more Office experience could. I don't think it has anything to do with not having a battery.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

Sorry, the service is called "Volume Shadow Copy".

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 Alravel

Alravel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:49 AM

Sorry, the service is called "Volume Shadow Copy".

Alright, I just checked. It wasn't running. 

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:50 AM

Then the "Previous Versions" of files and folders won't be available to you, so you cannot use that method to restore the file you deleted sadly.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#15 Alravel

Alravel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:53 AM

Then the "Previous Versions" of files and folders won't be available to you, so you cannot use that method to restore the file you deleted sadly.

Alright, thanks for the help. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users