Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Satellite won't start; slow orange led

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 StarStrider111

StarStrider111

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:09 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite c855d-s5116; pscbuu-008008. It runs Windows 8.1.

It was working very normally, until one day the screen went black and the battery wouldn't charge. I've had it for a few years (honestly can't remember what year I bought it) so I figured the battery died, which I replaced. That worked for about a week when it wouldn't turn on and wouldn't charge again. So I figured it was the DC adapter. Bought a new one and it worked fine again for a little while. I don't use it frequently, as it is mostly for travel and/or work related things, so after a few weeks of it sitting around (not plugged in), I plugged it in and tried starting it again, and once again, it will not turn on. When I replaced those items I did so by model compatibility, so everything should be rated accordingly.

I have removed the battery, unplugged it, and performed a "battery reset" as recommended by several troubleshooting pages. The only thing that happens is the same very slow orange blinking LED. It doesn't seem to be blinking in an error code pattern (not sure that even applies to my model), as the light will stay on about a second, then go off for two seconds, etc etc. I then tried removing the battery, resetting it, and only plugging the DC back in (no battery) and that produced a white LED light that would stay on, but if I pressed the power button there seemed to be a discharge and the LED would go out for several seconds (nothing else happening), then come back on.

I'm thinking it has to be an internal hardware problem, I'm just not sure what or how to diagnose it. I don't mind doing repair work myself so long as I have instructions. I do have access to Ubuntu on USB boot stick (I usually dual boot with Ubuntu on my systems but never got around to it on my laptop).

Thanks for any/all help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 StarStrider111

StarStrider111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:17 AM

This topic can be deleted; I got it fixed. Bad fuse on the motherboard. I suspect the old battery/cable may actually work fine if I can find them, haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users