Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shut off by itself randomly. Now it hangs on the BIOS POST screen.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dennis96411

dennis96411

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right section to ask this, so feel free to move the thread if needed.

I have a Gigabyte P35W v2 running Windows 8.1, and use an SSD for system and program files, and an HDD for user data.

Last night, while I was browsing the web, the laptop shut off by itself almost without warning (I heard the fan get louder for about half a second) to a black screen. This has actually happened before, but it always started up fine. This time, however, I was not so lucky.

The laptop will not boot. Upon showing the BIOS splash screen, the disk activity indicator light blinks a little, then stops completely. There's no spinner showing that Windows is loading. I also cannot get into the BIOS or the boot menu by mashing F2 or F12 while the laptop starts.

Just a little bit of info: I had the CPU (Intel Core i7-4710HQ) underclocked in an attempt to lower the heat using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. I have done this since I got the laptop about a year ago. The laptop idles at around 55°C, and runs at most 65°C while web browsing.

The laptop is still covered under the manufacturer 2 year warranty. I want to know what else I can try before sending it in.

Edited by dennis96411, 21 July 2015 - 07:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

Frankly I hope you have backups!  IMO do not fool around send it back, there a few thing that could be the culprit.  If you get it more screwed you may have a hassle when you send it back.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 dennis96411

dennis96411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:25 PM

Frankly I hope you have backups!  IMO do not fool around send it back, there a few thing that could be the culprit.  If you get it more screwed you may have a hassle when you send it back.

Phil

I'm going to try burning an EFI Windows 8 DVD and see if that'll boot. If not, then it means some hardware went haywire.

Edited by dennis96411, 21 July 2015 - 07:25 PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:54 PM

Get your manual out it has a recovery partition, that will bring it back to factory setting.

#5 dennis96411

dennis96411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:16 PM

Get your manual out it has a recovery partition, that will bring it back to factory setting.

Tried a Windows 8 DVD, didn't do anything. Guess it's dead.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:31 PM

Look to see what the key sequence is for the recovery partition, no sense not trying it.

Edited by OldPhil, 21 July 2015 - 09:33 PM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:30 PM

If you cannot reach the BIOS you have a low-level hardware problem. There are only 4 things that will prevent a BIOS boot: bad power supply, bad motherboard, failed memory, CPU failure. Hopefully you do not have any very sensitive data on the HDD, because the factory will want to see it. I agree with Phil, best to send it in. Worst that will happen is that they will give you a price for repairs if they consider it out of warranty.

You can try resetting the BIOS back to factory default. See your manual for instructions.

Edited by ranchhand_, 21 July 2015 - 10:31 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users